Charities and the money they collect/distribute.

noproblem

Coming up to Christmas and some people find it very difficult financially to cope with everything. I get this and contribute in whatever way I can but just lately I helped out (while visiting) some friends in a Dublin area with a SVP night run so to speak. It involved giving sandwiches, parcels, and one person had envelopes to give as well. This wasn't to unfortunate people on the streets or anything, it was to particular apartment complexes and similar. The people being given the "charity" are obviously well used to the weekly run and in some ways it's a permanent event, so much so that in many visits they just took the parcels and demanded the envelope, opened it in front of the giver and weren't behind the door in saying, "Hey, there's only €50 in this, where's the rest?". Now don't get me wrong, I know and appreciate times are hard for some, but this just grates with me and I was told that this is widespread. Some of the people we called to, quite a few, gave me the impression that life is not too bad at all but that there's now an expectation of this being the norm. Had a chat with the volunteers afterwards and thankfully I'm not on my own in thinking the way I do. Some of these volunteers are really getting worried by what they're instructed to do and they know it's becoming an epidemic in the sense of some getting charity that certainly do not need it. The amount of money given out on our night run was in the region of €2000.00 cash plus almost a van load of food and goodies. It has upset me and I'm wondering has anyone else experienced this and what checks are there on charities, what they get, what they pay out, who gets what and are their any accounts/checks in place for all of this. There must be absolute millions involved.

I had a tenant overstaying for months and they even moved in a sister with her kids while they left for a few weeks.

As I was getting my head around this walking back down the garden-path, I bumped into the SVP walking up to the door and I doorstopped them. I appraised them of the true story in the house and they left, I then had the pleasure of knocking on the door telling the overstayers of the entire conversation. (They'd apparently told the SVP that they were there years and rent had just gone up etc etc when in fact I'd been in receipt of nothing for quite a while before that).

I don't give money to any organisation now. Far too many fat-cats at the top with chuggers trying to justify the executive salaries. Scammers at the other end.

I do however work in a Soup Kitchen one night a week and there the policy is, if you have to attend, you're attending because you've no choice. Indeed, just last night there was one gentleman there and he was really well-dressed, better than everyone else - and not ostentiously so either - I assumed he was an executive of the Kitchen or smth, he was that well dressed ... until I noticed his shoe-wear was crocs .. in this weather.

So I prefer to give honest labour ... these days, its operational. Not all orgs are bad, I have been a diorector of charities in the past (no-one earned a wage or expenses in those)

Have heard similar from SVP volunteers. Listening to Ryan Tubridy for the past couple of weeks saying they don't give hand-outs, they're hand-ups. Fair enough, if people need help in the short-term to overcome a crisis now and again. However this seems to be the exception rather than the rule. From the accounts I hear most are long-term regular clients in which case they're definitely hand-outs.

The SVP have been giving money to people who don't need it for decades. I wouldn't give them a penny.

I've no problem with people who work in charities being well paid. Particularly those at the top. There's nothing more expensive than an unpaid well meaning fool.

I know of one CEO from a political background who 'donates' fees he gets from makig speeches to his charity-employer. All sounds so suss. And then they 'jack' these poitions in when they have to run in the next election.

Another ex-CEO wasn't aware of the almost fraud in their organisation until there were newspaper headlines...

I'm sorry but most of the CEOs of charities wouldn't qualify as CEO of any other business... don't get me started on the salaries!

I know of one CEO from a political background who 'donates' fees he gets from makig speeches to his charity-employer. All sounds so suss. And then they 'jack' these poitions in when they have to run in the next election.

Another ex-CEO wasn't aware of the almost fraud in their organisation until there were newspaper headlines...

I'm sorry but most of the CEOs of charities wouldn't qualify as CEO of any other business... don't get me started on the salaries!
The discussion should be around the quality/capability of the person, not what they get paid.

I expect that SVP is a lifeline for many. I think they take an 'ask and you shall receive' approach. No doubt this will be abused by some.

Back