Charging mobile phones

anois

I have heard that you should not be near a mobile phone while it is charging and that the charger should not be left plugged in once it is finished charging. Anybody have views on this.

I heard something similar a long time ago..can't remember where. I know you should unplug the charger as its a transformer, and continues to use electricity when plugged in.

Apparently so. I tried it out recently too as I'm trying to cut down my 'massive ESB bill. Sure enough, with two plugged in the dial on the meter goes round and round.

All electronic equipment including phone chargers will use a small amount of power when plugged in due to induction in the transformer and DC rectifier. Larger items such as big TVs use a fair bit while on standby but I would imagine the amount on a phone charger is miniscule.

The chap that told my friend this is into geopathic stress in houses which is another issue. Going back to the charger, one night recently I could hear this very low pitched noise in my bedroom and the following day I discovered it was a charger that was plugged in, in the room next to mine, granted these are partition walls but I still thought it was strange.

but I would imagine the amount on a phone charger is miniscule.
I guess so. Isn't it Watts = Amps x Volts so for an average phone charger it would be something like 0.5A x 240V = 120W so you'd have to run it for about 8 hours to incur the cost of a single kWh unit of electricity? Or something...

The chap that told my friend this is into geopathic stress in houses which is another issue.
You mean this?
Is your friend's friend otherwise intelligent?
Are you sure that the charger next door was the source of the noise in your room?

Jaysus...maybe you've ghosts???

My family were leaving 4 chargers on 24/7 and I never heard a thing!

Yes I am most definite it comes from the charger but as I said it is very very low pitch and can only be heard when all is quiet. I sleep very near the wall in which the charger is in but as I said the room next door. I also have another charger and no sound comes from it .

My family were leaving 4 chargers on 24/7 and I never heard a thing!

Depending on the chargers, there can be sounds emitted. The bog standard Nokia charger is fine, however the newer chargers for the n-series phones have a small whine out of them. Also, the Sony Ericsson chargers were the worse for noise in my experience. Motorola chargers were okay though.

My hearing must be shot altogether - i can't hear my Sony Ericsson charger at all - maybe i should bring it back?

My nokia charger is the exact same. I can't charge it at night as it just bugs me so much listening to the pitch of it. Don't know if its just the charger or what.