Charging electronic devices in USA

Slim

Hi. We're travelling to the US and will have the usually selection of mobile phones, tablets, hair straighteners etc, all, of course, requiring 220v+. My questions are:
I believe that a laptop may charge on 110, albeit more slowly, but will that work for mobile phones?
Second, l will get an adapter but will that need to also contain an inverter to boost the voltage?
Third, will one adapter/inverter work with a 4 gang extension cord?

Thanks in advance. Any additional info would be appreciated. Slim

You definitely don't need an inverter -- that's for converting direct to alternating current. A transformer converts voltage. The thing is, the majority of transformers/chargers etc. for electronics nowadays will work on both US and European voltages (and frequencies, which are also different). You'll see something like "110-240 V, 50-60 Hz" on the label. For phones/tablets/laptops/cameras etc. you can more or less assume they will work.

You might have more of a problem with things that use mains voltage like hair dryers and straighteners etc. Even there there's a fighting chance it'll work -- check the label -- but if not you'll need to buy a dual voltage "travel" version (which also tends to be smaller and more portable). Also make sure you have European-to-US plug adapters which you can buy in the airport, or nowadays in lots of places, even Tesco. If you're a family of gadget users you'll need several.

Last edited:
Second, l will get an adapter but will that need to also contain an inverter to boost the voltage?
Third, will one adapter/inverter work with a 4 gang extension cord?

You'll need an adaptor to convert from 3 to 2-pin. All chargers for things like phones, laptops and tablets are dual-voltage etc. are dual-voltage and work anywhere. One adaptor and a 4-gang extension is an excellent idea and works just fine: a lot simpler than multiple adaptors.

Slightly pedantic, but US plugs are 3-pin as well ... the earth pin is hidden away on the side of the plug so it looks like 2-pin. The earth pin can be omitted on non-earthed devices, unlike UK/Ireland plugs which need a dummy earth pin because it forces open the holes for the current carrying pins in the socket.

What I have is an adaptor with 2 USB ports that can be used for charging phones at the same time you're using socket. Very handy for travelling.

If you bring an extension lead, you need the most basic variety. No surge protector or anything like that.

What I have is an adaptor with 2 USB ports that can be used for charging phones at the same time you're using socket. Very handy for travelling.

That reminds me -- if you're hiring a car you can also get a cigarette lighter adapter with one or more USB sockets. In the US, you can get a one- or two-USB version in CVS drug stores (or others) for a couple of dollars.

I was recently in the US and my hairdryer wouldn't work there due to the voltage. I had a problem previously with GHD hair straighteners but my Remington ones worked fine this time. We usually do similar to RedOnion - I have an extension lead with 4 plugs/2 USB's and I use one US adaptor to plug everything in.

I had a problem previously with GHD hair straighteners

All modern GHDs from model 4 on are 'universal voltage'. As dub_nerd says, just check the ratings label on the device, any legit electronics that have undergone EU testing should display these details.

Back