Charging a credit card, 5 months later

pricilla

I feel so stupid. I ordered some signed soccer memorabilia from an internet site in July. When the photo's arrived, I realised that they were in fact photocopies and not originals at all.
So, I immeditely phoned the company and left several messages, saying I didn't want them. I also emailed. Then I sent the photos back to the address, by registered post. I also wrote them a letter and told them that I sent back the products.
I heard nothing further about it until just now. They have just charged the card €150.
So, I rang and emailed the company again and of course there is no answer.
I rang the credit card centre and they said that we should cancel the card incase the company starts putting other charges on, and put this charge in dispute.
The thing is, it's not even my credit card, my sister used hers for the transaction as a favour to me, and no she has had to cancel her card and has none for Christmas.
I'm so upset. The bank said it was fraudulent for them to do this without being authorised to do so. But I think I'm going to have to pay because I did authorise them to debit it in July, but sent back the goods. I'm dreading going home because I did a clean out last month and knowing my luck I threw out the post office reciept. So I'm going to have to pay for something that I don't have and was a fake in the first place and that's why I had to send it back.
My sister thinks that this company just chanced their arm and put the charge on, thinking that nobody would notice it before Christmas.

Can I put the website name on here? It deliberately misleads you to think that the stuff is original and is charging the price that signed merchandise costs so I think it's awful.
So, anyway, the Bank says that it is ok to charge someone's card up to 6 months after they have authorised it, so they are within their rights. So even if I prove I sent it back, I still will probably have to pay. I'm gutted.

I think you should name the Bank, too! If the website company has effectively defrauded you (i.e. deliberately misleading descriptions, and you have a record of having returned the products long before they applied the €150 charge), then there is absoutely no reason why the bank should advise you to cancel the card — at cost and inconvenience to your sister — in order to dispute this charge and 'just in case' they try another one...

Was the company that you bought this stuff from based in Ireland, Europe or elsewhere?

If it's in Ireland, your rights under the Sale of Goods Act still apply even though bought over the internet. I'm guessing that you might be entitled to something given that the items were not "fit for purpose intended". If that's the case, you could be entitled to a refund (or to return as you did), as a repair or replacement wouldn't be suitable.

Best thing to do is call the Consumers Association of Ireland - ask to speak to Dermott Jewell himself (worth a shot!!) and see what their advice is.

If it was purchased elsewhere in Europe, you should check with the in Dublin for advice. I hear they're quite good with their advice.

If they're outside Europe, you're probably in trouble.

No it's in the UK. East Sussex.
Can I really put the name up? Is it allowed?
I won't name the bank because they were nice to me. I feel like such an eejit, and my poor sister is so good and careful with money and is away for Christmas and now she's had to cancel her card. I'm never ordering anything off the internet ever again.

Consider it a lesson learned. I wouldn't have cancelled the card, but it's too late now.

pricilla said:
No it's in the UK. East Sussex.

Give the ECIC a shout to see if they can help. Make sure you still query the payment with your bank. That then, I think, puts the onus on the company to prove that they were right to deduct the money.

They look like cowboys, alright. Only a P.O. Box no. for address, and the area code of the 'phone nos. given doesn't match...? (Cranbrook, Kent, not Etchingham, E. Sussex)

I'd suggest you do what Ronan said. I'd also write to the company once more summarising what you've said here and advising them that unless they refund you immediately you'll be placing the matter in the hands of your 'legal representatives in the UK'

They may have been 'nice' about it — like when they hard-sell loan repayment protection policies 'for your peace of mind...' — but I still think you're letting the bank off the hook far too lightly. They shouldn't have advised you to cancel the cards — what will that cost you/your sister, in addition to all the other upset?

pricilla said:
I'm never ordering anything off the internet ever again.

I wouldnt let this put you off buying over the internet again, you just need to be careful who you purchase from.

Just to update you. I contacted ECIC like you said and the Consumers Association. Then a funny thing happened! The man from the website contacted me and said that I was the only return he EVER had and that the transaction had gone through in error. So there you go. He is just charging me for the postage.
My day has since gotten even more bizarre, in a completely unrelated area, but I won't trouble ye any further. Sincere thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

For future reference, the [broken link removed] gives you some strong consumer rights on e-commerce purchases - stronger than high-street retail in many cases. There is a 7-day coooling off period when the consumer can return the goods without cause and is entitled to a refund.