Charged interest on Credit Card even though cleared full amount last month.

Tigerboon

I cleared the entire balance on my husband's AIB credit card last month. This month's bill has come in, and has a €16 charge on it for interest on purchases! Even though it also shows that last month's balance was cleared! Obviously they won't speak to me as it's in my husband's name. I got him to ring, but had to go out while he was on the phone. He says they told him it was interest on something from the previous month. But to my knowledge, when you clear the entire balance then there is no more to be paid? He won't ring again and says to just pay it. Could this possibly be legit?

AIB has a funny way of charging interest.

To get an interest free period, you must clear the balance in full and on time two months in a row.

Brendan

Or more simply put, it's the interest accrued between the statement date and payment due date which is reflected in the following statement

I cleared the entire balance on my husband's AIB credit card last month. He won't ring again and says to just pay it.

As I manage the finances to get around this kind of difficulty I got a form from the credit card company for my husband to sign so I'm autorised to deal with them for him. It was Amex. For our Visa/Mastercard I don't need to as it's via our joint account. And last month I had an issue with a Visa debit on our Irish current account, but I discovered because the account is joint I could deal with the issue (a payment for a bus in Ireland that wouldn't go thru that I used his card for) Initally the call center in the UK (Ulster bank) said they had to speak to him, so I put him on the phone, and then we wanted to put it on speaker so I could tell him what to say but they wouldn't allow that, but it was solved because the account was joint.

So there's a new rule about putting on the speaker on the phone too ! Of course if we were a lesbian couple I could have just pretended to be her !!

Two ways to get around this
1) Your husband has lost his voice and needs to write down the answer so you can communicate it to them (wait a minute making scratching noises of pen to paper
2) Speak with a deeper voice
btw - if you haven't already start practicing/learning to forge his signature so you don't even have to ask him to fill forms out