Changing Windows - cost of replacing alarm sensors ?

redstar

We are replacing our poor quality white PVC windows. The new windows will be brown. There are alarm sensors on the existing windows which will have to be disconnected and reconnected to the new windows

Called the alarm co about getting the code for disarming tamper to let the installers disconnect the sensors. The alarm guy said we will also need to get brown sensors fitted to match the windows. There are 8 sensors. Cost ? about Euro600 :eek:

I said we are not getting a new alarm fitted just changing the sensors from white to brown.
He still said, yeah, about 600, have to rewire etc ....

Anyone have any ideas how much this should cost ? Is it just a simple case of getting replacement brown sensors. Some (4) sensors consist of a matchbox size box on the window frame and a small bar magnet on the window close to the box. The other 4 are vibration sensors fitted to frames.

Dunno what make the alarm is , all I can see is 'SecureWatch HKC Ltd' and NSAI number/symbol.

You don’t necessarily have to change the sensors just because the alarm company said you do. If you have roller blinds than the sensor will most probably be hidden by them (mine are). I have mostly brown sensors but a few whites ones too. I might be wrong but you are entitled to work on your own alarm system. Most sensors come in brown and white but are exactly the same except for the colour. You could buy your own new brown sensors, like [broken link removed], for about €20 each from an electrical / alarm wholesaler. There is usually just one screw holding the cover on. If you could match the sensor then you could swap the covers. There will be no wiring involved just maybe to cut out a channel for the cable. If you do, do this then you could ask when you buy them the best way to do it. i.e. turn off power to alarm panel, disconnect battery etc. Somebody on here may be able to advise....

You must remember it's not as simple as changing the covers ... if the windows are being replaced, the old sensors have to be removed, albeit temporarily, from the windows. So if I were you, and I bought 8 new sensors, I'd use them to replace the old ones, and not just the covers, as these sensors invariable wear out eventually, so this would be preventative maintenance to a certain extent :) I've changed some of my window sensors in the past, but would advise caution nowadays as alarm installations must be carried out by authorised companies. You might affect your house insurance (discount for NSAI installed alarm?) if you mess about with it yourself.

You may have got sorted by now and not sure if you're in Dublin or not but I used a crowd (I have an alarm system from securewatch too) in Lucan called Direct Secure, I rang around and they seemed quite reasonable, we got a lot of work done on our house, windows knocked out and doors put in their place etc. so we needed a lot of new sensors / contacts. I think we paid €200 for about 8. That's crazy money you've been quoted.

Just a thought, are you with Eircom Phonewatch by any chance? They installed the alarm on a house we bought, I got the code easily enough from them saying I wanted to change my passcode and so over the phone they talked me through it on the control panel and in doing so gave me the access code, I just gave that to Direct Secure then and they were delighted because it's a less hassle for them when they've the code.

Thanks for the advice, guys. No, moneypit, i'm not with Eircom Phonewatch.
We finally got our windows replaced. A installer from the alarm co came out and priced the work at 450 to replace 9 sensors. The original 600 quote was over-the-phone without them seeing the actual work to be done. Now I still think 450 is way over the top - the wiring is mostly intact (no need to run new cabling thru walls or doors) and just needs to extend the wiring and fit the sensors to secure the new window and french-door openings.

I also drew the wiring details before they were disconnected.

I will do-it-myself as a last resort (I have electronic servicing qualifications, so can read wiring diags/schematics and build/wire electronic circuits) but getting the time to do it is a problem. Also, getting details about the alarm system and sourcing the parts is hard to come-by. I think alarm companies like to keep those details to themselves ? I'll check out that link, Brylcreem - thanks.

I'll get 2 more quotes and then decide.

Back