Changing US Dollars back to Euro.

TomPetty

Hi Folks,
After many trips to the States, I have collated a lot of US Dollars - Maybe about 1800 USD.
Any recommendations on how I should go about changing this back to Euro ?
Think its probably a good time to change it now with the exchange rate
How can I avoid large commission rates ? I think I read somewhere that I can only use the Post Office, if I purchased them there ..

Many thanks for your help.

Tom.

yes Tom the dollar is quite strong now,but maybe hang on a while,Europe is about to introduce quantitive easing which may devalue the euro even more so making the dollar even stronger, i can see it going to maybe €1 10 or even a little below!

Think its probably a good time to change it now with the exchange rate
How can I avoid large commission rates ? I think I read somewhere that I can only use the Post Office, if I purchased them there ..
Hi Tom, others may speculate about the movements in exchange rates but presuming you have the dollars in cash, a quote from your local banks and post office would seem to be your main option. In terms of where you bought the dollars, there is no need to buy euro back in the same place - only do so if they offer you the most euro in return!

Of course, if you or a family member were considering visiting the US again in the near or medium term, holding onto the dollars would probably be the best idea!

Do you have 1,800 USD in cash? Rare in this day and age.

The best electronic method of FX exchange is an online currency broker.

An Post do not offer the best cash exchange method. An Post charge a large spread. In other words, they offer a very poor FX rate.

Will you be in the US again anytime soon? Spending the cash while you are there might be the best option.

Hi TomPetty,

Take your time to find the most cost effective method for changing your money and do a little research on the exchange rate between USD and EUR as it has moved significantly recently and will continue to do so. I'm not sure if this falls outside the rules and regulations of AAM so check it out for yourself before you exchange, you may save/make more on the transaction.