changing size of wc?

suzie duff

i want to renovate our downstairs, kitchen and living room, my wc is taking alot of room in the kitchen. i was thinking of moving the wc to under the stairs.
got an architcet and he says sue to building regulations, the wc will have to remain the same size..is there wasy around this?
there is no point in me renovating this if i can't move the wc
any ideas

The wc is separate to the kitchen, i suppose our kitchen is built around it. If i took the wc away, i would have a much bigger kitchen!

Obviously we don't know the layout of your house, but WCs do need to be quite large now, large enough for a wheelchair user.

You could go ahead and renovate without compliance with regs which will make your house impossible to sell on, or you could do without a downstairs loo.

Obviously we don't know the layout of your house, but WCs do need to be quite large now, large enough for a wheelchair user.

You could go ahead and renovate without compliance with regs which will make your house impossible to sell on, .
true

or you could do without a downstairs loo.
false - same issue as you outline above

as i see it and if i was asked to check building regs compliance, i would ask, when the house was built? was it built post 1992?, was it post 2000? or is there historical 'significance'? is this a material alteration to the existing building?

IMHO (without all the facts) if we take the spirit of the regs - by removing or reducing the WC, you are making a visitor or future owners or your own future elderly existence more difficult.

the OP has asked 'is there a way around this' - the answer is yes. ask your architect to design an alternative space that's suits your needs while complying with building regulations