changing phone provider

bond-007

I am with UTV and want to change to talk talk. Do I simply sign up with talk talk and they will switch me over or do I need to go back to eircom first and then change again?

I think it depends on whether Talk Talk have their own equipment in exchanges (like Smart) or if they use eircom as a wholesaler. With Smart you had to go back to eircom first. I think with all other operators who basically resell eircom's wholesale voice and broadband packages you can just switch directly. Surely Talk Talk can clarify what's involved in switching to them? Maybe [broken link removed] clarifies some of these issues?

Talk Talk assume you are coming to them from eircom.

I found [broken link removed] useful.

All you need to change to any provider is your universal account no which will be on you utv bill, i work for Carphone warehouse and would be happy to swop you over and do as much as i can to get you moved as easily as possible!

All you need to change to any provider is your universal account no
This was definitely not the case when switching to Smart from a provider other than eircom. And the UAN is not always easily accessible as I discovered during my mother's home phone saga (documented in tortuous detail elsewhere).

Yeah, if switching to Smart, you must be with eircom first. It can't make life easy for Smart (that, and needing a new phone no), though its a great service where available.

It wasn't such a great service for residential voice line only customers left in the lurch when Smart failed to pay their eircom bills last year...

Former Smart residential customer now cut off

And they now only offer bundled voice line and broadband service (i.e. no voice line only service) to residential customers who happen to be on a Smart enabled exchange (i.e. a limited subset of all residential customers).