changing my credit card

J

john25

hi i have a boi credit card for about 10 years and always paid it up to date and on time however i recently lost my job and have been lets say overusing and underpaying my credit card anyway the balance is now clear but during the time i let it slip a little i relised they are charging me a shocking high rate
can i change credit card companys even though i am now unemployed or am i stuck with them?

I would imagine you will find it very difficult to get a new credit card and would def. think that your new card would have a much smaller limit. I suppose you won't know for sure until you go knocking.

I would say it will be impossible to get another credit card opened.

Any credit scorecard with all the issuers in the market will refuse.

I have genuine sympathy with your situation.

Because of the high level of customer apathy in the market, issuers could charge what they liked and did. If people spent a little more time shopping around, there are some great bargains. Why pay 18% on purchases when you can pay 8.5%. No brainer! If you are in a position to change, then do!

Im in a similar situation with BOI Mastercard but I still have a job. Any idea where is the best place to switch to?

Thanks

Check [broken link removed] for comparisions between the different companies. I recently switched to Postbank via MBNA with 10 months 0% interest. At first I was rejected but when rang up and went through the figures etc, I was accepted.
Good luck.

Anyone with an NIB Mastercard,

Notice was given in the Times on Saturday that their new rates effective from 26/10/09 have gone up from 11.6% APR to 16.10% APR,

That’s a mighty jump.

Check [broken link removed] for comparisions between the different companies. I recently switched to Postbank via MBNA with 10 months 0% interest. At first I was rejected but when rang up and went through the figures etc, I was accepted.
Good luck.

Thanks for that. Is it all done on online or is it conditional of you sending in stuff like bank statements, ID, Utility Bills etc??

Can be done online or ring up. Did not need to send off any bank statements as they ask for the bank a\c details. Be sure to close the old card and then need to get a letter to send to MBNA so not charged 2 lots of the €30 government stamp duty in the same year. This is alowed when you switch the debt. Good luck.

I have been in touch with BOI recently about changing to their clear card with 0% for first 6 mths and then 9.5% thereafter, when I was speaking to them I asked if it would be possible to change from this card to their 2-in-one card in 6 mths time and was advised it would be, it might be worth your while calling them and seeing if you can switch to a different card within their range, probably be easier than applying to a new card issuer altogether.

Thanks for that Laura. I was thinking of ringing them up and seeing if they could do anything for me. Much appreciated.

laura i spoke with bank about an offer they had on a different card and was kindly told it applied to new customers only so i fu***d the head off em and said some joker walks in off the street and he gets a better deal than a loyal customer with 15 years history? and i was politley told yes but im stuck... cant move cause no job

Yea thats ridiculous, I just spoke to MBNA whom Im changing from to see if they could offer me anything to stay and they advised best they could do would be 10.9% but they wouldnt give me 0% for 6 months.... seems like most card issuers are only interested in obtaining new customers and don't really care about their loyal customers....