Changing mortgage repayment date

tk23

We have ulster bank mortgage and have been trying to change payment date from 25th each month to 29th. We were told by branch this was possible just send in a letter requesting date change which we did only to receive a form back asking us to pick a date between 1st and 26th. We have been having some difficulties and went through marp process. My husband gets paid on 28th so repayment date of 25th is difficult but 29th is fine. I get paid fortnightly so date changes each month. Any suggestions as to what to do. Is bank being unreasonable??

Thanks in advance

It's just their systems, some of the mortgages are set up that way and you can change the date to anytime in the month between 1st and 25th but can't pass that date, only way to do it is to get a month ahead, i.e. pay on 29th of previous month, that is not much use to you is money is tight though.

ask for a one month payment break and to change the dd date to the 1st of the month.

you will need to ask for both otherwise you will be paying two direct debits within a week of each other.
so for example.
may is paid on 25th
june payment break
july is paid on the 1st.

without the payment break.
may is paid on the 25th
june is paid on the 25th
july is paid on the 1st.

as wbbs said above their mortgage systems cant handle a dd on the 29th.
they are not trying to be an ass, its just physically not possible for them to facilitate your request.

I would imagine it's because there would then be no DD payment for February, except in a leap year.

Ask them to change it to the 1st of the month. It's only a couple of days after you wanted it anyway.

Back