Changing House name

ninsaga

Hi,
What needs o happen if you wish to cjage the name of your house eg existing..
"Atlantic View"
Ballyscally,
Co Cork to...

"Rambles"
Ballyscally,
Co Cork

...is this possible...how does one register it etc etc...

ninsaga

Hi Ninsaga,

Was just in my local postoffice in Co. Cork today asking the very same question! My house has two different names - one naff one which is on the deeds and an even more naffer and depressing one which the previous owners came up with! So I get mail to both names as the postman goes back a few years and is familiar with the setup.

Anyhow, you could change the name of the house on the deeds which could be costly and timeconsuming. Or, and this is what I am going to do is just change the name and inform the postman of the new change- the local postmaster had no problem with this. Course I'll then ensure that all mail is sent to my new address so as to not entirely confuse the poor man. The only trouble that you may come up against is if you were going to sell your house in the future for land registry searches where they would be looking for the name on the deeds...but I'm guessing on that one.

Regards,

C71 (who can't wait to change the name to get a reference to Louth in Co. Cork!!!)

We have gone sale agreed on a property.
As with anywhere in the countryside, there is no number on the house.
We are hoping to put a name on the house to make it easier for An Post in the long-term!
When we sign contracts and close the deal, do we need to notify the solicitor to put the name on the deeds or how does that work?
Would appreciate some advice please.