changing from vodafone to 02

Frank

I am thinking of changing my bill phone from Vodafone to 02

I am out of contract with Vodafone.

I have a couple of queries.
  • It appears there is a better deal online than in the stores +20% on calls and texts how long does this last for? Is the 6 months double minutes still available? I want to keep my existing number, can I do this online? If the new phone takes 3 days to deliver when will my existing phone be cut off?
  • Does O2 cover all of Ireland without any roaming?
I have tried mailing and ringing 02 they are a disaster, some alarm bells ringing already.

Anyone any experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank,

I switched from Vodafone to O2 last October. I applied online and got the extra 20% calls & texts. I wasn't told of any expiry of this offer.

I also kept my number when I moved. Watch out for Vodafone's policy when you tell them you're leaving but taking your number with you. I emailed vodafone and asked what notice they required for cessation of service. They replied to say that if I were closing my account and not taking my number, they required 28 days notice, however if I were taking my number I had to leave my account open. This I did...only to find they charged me another month's rental after I switched! I queried it, and, after the customer service rep read their own email, I got my money back.

I didn't buy a new phone from o2 when I moved, and received the new SIM card within a few days of making the application. The new SIM was activated about 3 days after I received it. I received no notice of when the service transfer though, got caught without a phone on my way to Dublin one evening (vodafone disconnected me, I hadn't got the O2 SIM with me at the time). Once you get the new phone/SIM, carry both with you until the change is done!

I did all this online with no difficulties.

Another thing to watch out for - O2 generally don't grant roaming to new customers for the first 3 months. I was travelling 1 month after I switched providers, contacted O2 before I went, and was assured I'd have roaming. Got to Scotland to find no service....one strongly-worded email later and I had roaming within 24 hours. I've found O2 customer service very easy to deal with, very professional and very pleasant (for example, had a difficulty with my first month's bill and immediately got a €5 credit).

I copied this from the o2 website re roaming in N Ireland

"When roaming in Northern Ireland, calls received are free, and calls made to Irish mobiles & landlines & landlines in Northern Ireland are charged at one flat rate in accordance with the chosen price plan. The flat rate applies while roaming on the O2 UK network only. Excludes calls made to premium rate numbers, international numbers, directory enquiries, voicemail & UK/Northern Ireland mobiles. Compatible with all new Life price plans only. All calls made when roaming in NI will not be deducted from price plan minutes. Flat rate for Active life 40 is 35c, Active life 150 is 30c, Active life 250 is 25c, Active life 500 is 20c, and Easy life 150, 500, 2000 & Text life is 35c."

Last edited:
Got me new phone yesterday once I rang the porting was finished in less than an hour.

Just need to get the hang of the new phone.

Order on the web on Friday.

Got the phone pack on wednesday morning.

Up before I left work.

I have been with both Vodafone and o2 and had problems with both in relation to getting through but generally speaking they have been pretty good. My main gripe was the roaming that I had been stung for, for years as I travelled a lot to North. There profits are excessive but then so is our usage !!!

Back