Changing from UTV to BT - Double billing

BlueSpud

In August I changed my phone provider from UTV to BT. BT told me that I did not have to contact UTV as it the process would be seamless, and it was. That is until I now discover that I was charged last month by UTV, I am to be charged this month, and I will be chatged another 30 days cos "I" still have not informed them thai I was moving/cancleeing the service. I propably have no major propbem with the 30 days bit, bu I am now looking at being debited for Sep & Oct, as well as Aug. I cant find the "30 Days" condition on the UTV website. Am I alone here, is there anything I can do to get my cash back. I cant even stop the DD unless I close my account, far too much hassle.

Same thing happened to me. I simply cancelled the DD as they have no right to take for line rental that is already being paid to another company.

There is no reason to tell UTV you are leaving. They already know when BT take your line off them. Also they must legally notify you when the line is transfered to another provider in case of fraud etc, they failed to do this either.

I never heard another thing from them.

I tried cancelling the DD from my C/Card company & they said I couldnt, UTV would have to do it.

It's an anomaly. BT take the line from UTV on a wholesale basis, but in the ts and cs with UTV you have to contact them to cancel your retail contract. The service as designed was supposed to cancel the retail contract as wll but doesn't. UTV are one of the only ones who do this, but apparently it is legal i.e. they get your cash for the retail service without incurring the cost of the wholesale service

I can't see how it is legal at all.

Also as I said earlier UTV are informed of the loss of the line and UTV must write to you advising of the loss of the line just in case you did not authourise it. They are clearly in breach of comreg regulations.

actually they are not - been there done that. the comreg requirements apply only to the wholesale element. for the retail element you're on your own. (at the moment)

by the way they don't HAVE to write to you, it is their option.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/CG10.pdf
Comreg Leaflet said:
Will my existing service provider let me know they have received notification of the change to a new supplier?
Yes, they will send you a letter to verify that you have consented to the change. You only have to respond to this letter if you have not consented to the change in service provider and you do not want to proceed.

Clearly in breach from the above.

they don't have to send you a letter. this is the option. and they can still charge you.

Can you cite a regulation (Comreg, SI or Act) in that they don't have to send a letter?

They can try to charge but their terms and conditions (just because they say they can do this and that don't make them legal) would be found to be unlawful if they were ever tested out in court.

If they are fully aware the wholesale contract is terminated they cannot continue to charge, and no court will uphold their shady business practices.

Back