changing from ntl cable to FTA, Dublin

Gordanus

I've been reading http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=93451&page=3 thread and have becme increasingly interested in how to change from a cable service to a FTA one.
I'm a total eejit at this so forgive any naive questions.

1. buy satellite dish.
2. Come home, look at the back of the house, wonder how the hell to get up there...will my ladder be long enough, will the back of the house be facing the right direction, what direction should the satellite face anyway.
3. Ask male to come and help.
4. Print out answers from AAM and show male. Puzzle them out together. Is there a way of connecting the satelite with the cable wires/box?
5. Buy rabbit ears to see RTE
6. Get ntl to cancel service.

Erm...have I got this about right? Any answers gratefully received!

Or pay for someone to do it for you ? There are businesses out there that offer this service, that aren't part of SKY or upc/ntl.

AFAIK, RTE channels are available on ther ASTRA service, so you may not need a local aerial.

Again, a professional would be able to help you out with all of that.

Or pay for someone to do it for you ? There are businesses out there that offer this service, that aren't part of SKY or upc/ntl.

AFAIK, RTE channels are available on ther ASTRA service, so you may not need a local aerial.

Again, a professional would be able to help you out with all of that.

All correct except RTE is encrypted.

The dish just needs line of sight of the satellite. Otherwise it can be a foot off the ground.

You'll also need more than just a dish - e.g. a mounting kit, cable, receiver etc. The thread to which you refer in the original post above contains more links to information which you should read.

Back