Changing from gas to electric heating

Violinguy

Hi all, I am considering taking out the Gas supply and replacing with electric radiators.

I have just taken ownership of small 2 bed house, which was idle for sometime and the electricity and gas were both disconnected. I don't know if the boiler works, but know it will cost money to get the heating system up and running again. The boiler is also in a prime/annoying location in the kitchen!

Is this idea a big financial mistake? I'd need 5 small radiators, look like it would cost 2500 all in. There is an open fire too, I live alone. Realistically I'll use the gas at most for an hour in the morning and evening half the year. I'm not really in a position to go the heat pump or solar way investment wise.

Any thoughts or advice would be great!

V

We currently have night time storage heaters and they consume a lot of electricity. Plus not handy if the day turns out warm but you have already stored the heat the previous night. I cannot advise on non-storage electric heaters. I'd say a new gas boiler would save money vs electric, other here may be able to give more advice.

A cold winter will cost you a fortune if using electrical heat. The only people i know that would choose electric radiators are landlords because they are paying for the install (cheap) but not the bills (expensive).

I would stick with the gas if i were you. Get a quotation from a local (recommended if possible) RGI heating installer. The existing boiler might be ok. If you need to replace, ask them about a Combi boiler as they give instant hot water (good for summer when heating won't be on) & you don't take up space with a traditional cylinder in a hot press.

How old and in what condition is your wiring? You'd be doubling the cost of your project but if you need a re-wire anytime soon (in the next 10yrs), there'll never be a better time than when your heating installer is there lifting the same floors, drilling through joists, you have furniture moved out, etc. If you need to touch up plastering/painting afterwards, you're only doing this once too.

How well insulated is the house? A lovely new high efficiency boiler will be of little benefit if it's just efficiently producing heat that is flying through you walls rather than heating the space as intended. For me, insulation is Priority #1.

Do you have a BER rating or an indication of the level of heat required?

Electric heaters will cost significantly more per unit of energy delivered as heat, but if you're very well insulated and heat demand is very low, then perhaps the savings in standing charges and up front costs may balance out.

The gas boiler can be moved to a different area. Piped gas is significantly cheaper than electricity.

Thank you all for good advice, yes I think I will stick with the Gas, thank you for taking the time to help.

Back