changing face plate on sockets

sloggi

Hi,

Does anyone know how difficut it is to change a face plate on an existing socket. New build so wiring ok....want to change bog standard white sockets plates to stainless steel. The stainless steel seems to have 2 earth points on the double socket whilst the white variety has only one. it seems that the earth wires from both cables are currently running to the one earth point in the white plate - insullated together, do i need to split this and wire to the seperate points in the stainless steel plate? if so, do i need to seperately insullate each?

Any advice welcome!

I am not an electrician but you will need to ensure that the metal part of the socket cover is also earthed/bonded. you can get earth sleeve to cover the bare wire from an electrical wholesale shop or B&Q.

the two earth terminals on the metal socket are the same. It does not matter which one you use.

Not to teach you haw to suck eggs but don't forget to turn off the power to the sockets before you change them.

thanks guys! Irish fire had a momentarily dizzy moment when unwrapping wires to connect a counter light - just to see if the colour of them was the same as per instructions....several jolts later, power was firmly turned off while i rewrapped the wires!!

Back