Changing Double Glaze Glass in old windows.is it worth it?

keithrf900

I moved into a house last year with old doubleglazed windows in it. The glass is F'd in the windows. There is condinsation in most of them. I was just wondering if it is cheaper to have the glass replaced or the whole windows? Any advice.Thanks

Get a few quotes for both and then decide. Definately worth changing what you have and hopefully it is alot cheaper to change the glass than the whole window(bear in mind re-decorating costs etc).

Look for "A" Rated glass such as Outer Pane Opti White/ Warmedge spacer bar/ Argon Filled/Opti Shield or simular to inside pane. This will help greatly with heat loss/heat gain in your home.

Withing the next few years alot of people with the old type of double glazing will be upgrading their glass to "A" rated units.

I changed all the glass in my house from single to double glaze.

Cost of double-glazed units for 14 windows was €600.

changed my glass earlier on this year and so far think it has been very worthwhile.The real test will come when the weather gets much colder but I do feel its a worthwhile job

Can i ask were you got them? By the way thanks

Hi keithrf,

I got them from a company called Glass2Glass over in Ballymount 014298606.

You can call them in the morning and they will have it the next day or you can get the glass delivered.

I changed all the glass in my house from single to double glaze.

Cost of double-glazed units for 14 windows was €600.

Did you have to change the frames as well - double glazed would hardly fit in single glazed frames? Did you do them yourself or did you get somebody to do them? We're thinking of doing them (double to double) and don't know whether to go down the DIY route or not.

Thanks SLF, I got a mad quote from a local place today. To replace 6 double units and one single at the back of the house(broke) incl fitting 1200 euro, to put the led back into 4 small windows they want an extra 100, so that 1300. ill give that place a ring. thanks

Did you have to change the frames as well - double glazed would hardly fit in single glazed frames? Did you do them yourself or did you get somebody to do them? We're thinking of doing them (double to double) and don't know whether to go down the DIY route or not.

I'm a craftsman I can do anything I want put my mind to.

I have 60 year old frames in my house.

I measured the inside of the frames then added an inch to that measurement.

Then removed the old glass, routed the frame (15 x25) to fit the new D/glazed units (14mm gauge) leaving 5mm all around for clearence.

When installing the new frames I put in Alexplus sealer (in a tube) to seal the inside of the frame and all around the D/glazed unit (to keep the linseed putty away from the D/glazed joint this is important).

When this is dry used linseed putty to seal the frame in then paint.

Then when painting is finished (2 weeks to a month later to allow putty to harden) I put masking tape on the inside of the open window, put vasiline on that, closed the window then squirt more Alexplus into that joint, smooth it off.

Let it dry for 12 hours open the window, remove the tape close the window and I have a completely air tight window.

It's best to do this during the winter because the wood has expanded to its fullest, if you do this during the summer then you risk the window not closing during the following winter.

If you are looking for a fast job you'd be faster replacing all the frames and glass.

The type of work I do is mainly for people who are trying to keep their old frames which generally look far better than new ones.

This type of work should not be done by the faint hearted.

Thanks for your reply, SLF. Unfortunately, our frames are coated aluminium. I totally agree with you that wooden windows, albeit high maintenance, look much better.

Thanks for your reply, SLF. Unfortunately, our frames are coated aluminium. I totally agree with you that wooden windows, albeit high maintenance, look much better.

I get my windows painted once every 5 to 7 years.

Hardly high maintenance!

I doubt you'll get your coated aluminium windows to last as long as mine have, 60 years and counting:).

Back