Changing denominated currency on a cheque?

ButtermilkJa

Is it ok to simply cross-out the '€' symbol on a cheque and replace with a '£' and write the cheque out to Pounds Sterling if required, or is this not allowed for any reason?

My cheque book says
These cheques must be written in euro currency only and used in the Republic of Ireland

If this is to post to someone in England, there are two problems
- English banks don't have a clearing arrangement with Irish banks (at least not a formal one)
- Irish banks can't settle cheques drawn in Sterling

Your best bet is to transfer the payment electronically. You could buy a Sterling bank draft, but I wouldn't be happy posting it.

Not allowed - similar to the euro changeover, cheques couldn't just be changed to different currency by crossing out / overwriting the existing symbol.

Thanks Mugsame,

It's payment for a rented apartment in Spain. The owner lives in UK and has requested a Sterling cheque. They are Irish and advertise on Daft.ie so I would have assumed they had gone through this procedure before and therefore should know if they can cash the cheques.

Perhaps not? I'll check with them again to be sure...

Seems to be a common enough thing when dealing with foreign property owners. I had rented a house from an English couple living in France, they still wanted sterling even though they lived and worked in France.

You can't do this. At the bottom of the cheque is a 2 digit number, either 06 or 09. This signifies to the bank's system that the cheque is in €, not in sterling, therefore probability that even if you write the cheque for a sterling amount, it will be processed for €. Your bank would also be within their rights to bounce the cheque

All you need is the owners IBAN number to arrange for a credit transfer

Back