Changing Credit Card Procedure

Redzer

I'm thinking of changing Credit Card from Ulster Bank to Tesco to avail of better rewards as I always clear my balance.I also want to avoid being without a credit card if possible and I want to avoid paying the Government Duty twice. I believe its applied retrospectively in Mar/April for the previous year?
If I apply for a Tesco card now and cancel my Ulster Bank one when I receive the Tesco one, will I be hit for the Duty twice? Will Ulster Bank impose the Duty when the account is closed and will Tesco charge me it again in April?

No you dont pay it twice. It been paid in April 2010 for April 2009 - April 2010. You also have to pay the duty when closing the UB account (to cover up to the cancellation date in 2010/2011 in case you never got another CC). If you do get another CC within the same year you will not have to pay the duty again i.e. you will not have to pay in April 2011, since you paid it when cancelling the UB one.

Hope this helps

Thanks - I presume I'll have to show the Tesco card people some documentation from UB in April to avoid them taking it again. I'll request that from UB when closing the a/c.

Exactly yeah, send it off with the Tesco application. Just be sure to check statement in April to be sure you werent charged and have copy of of the document