Changing Broadband & Phone Provider from eir

Thanks . I spent another hour on the phone to Eir today. The first call was disconnected and eventually I managed the switch on a second call. I then set up a contract with Pure Telecom. A few hours later I received an automated call thanking me for choosing Eir and saying that they had attempted to make contact. Not really sure if I should waste more time calling them again or simply ignore. Honestly, even if they were to offer their service for free I would decline.

Reactions: Leo
After an on-going battle with eir over my generally poor and currently non-existent (for the last two weeks) broadband service, I tried to cancel my contract yesterday. I was told a €250 penalty would apply. I argued as I was getting no service, the contract was void, but it made no difference to the guy on the phone who threatened debt collectors in the event of non-payment.

I then tried Pure Telecom and discovered to my horror that the technicians who can't fix line faults after multiple attempts and lots of promises are the same no matter what retailer I pay. Which makes a nonsense of shopping on price for broadband as the level of after-sales service will still be appalling.

I'm currently tethering to my iPhone to get internet access and found over the last two weeks, despite the assurances on their web-site, complaints about service cannot (will not?) be escalated by the phone jockeys. The on-line chat facility is a joke too, staffed by non-native English speakers / typists. Ashkar or Akshar told me s/he couldn't verify my security check as I was spelling my own name incorrectly (well s/he said wrong actually). I gave her “Joe Murphy”, “Joseph Murphy”, “joseph murphy”, “MR JOE MURPHY” and s/he rejected all of them saying my spelling of *MY* name was incorrect. I pointed out to him/her that I was at a disadvantage as s/he was not a native English speaker and s/he did not grasp the cultural significance of any or all versions of them being acceptable in this country. Oh wait, maybe it’s a cheap chat line provider like eir's cheap modem/router that failed on Thursday night!!

Come back BT, all is forgiven, well almost.

I finally got my second UAN by continuing to call Eir and being fobbed off by many call centre people, after escalating up the line to the boss of all bosses? and managed to screw an email address from him. So apologetic (just words) was he that I was almost expecting him to arrive at the doorstep.

Moving to Pure. Their engineer arrived and did not seem to have a clue, told me we had a fault on the line (the one I was using five minutes before he arrived). Spent 2.5 hours here and had to go (6 o'clock) and his boss would be back in the morning. No show, that was last Tuesday (1 week ago now). Got a call yesterday to say he'd be round in five minutes. I was 2 hours away so he'd call back to day. No call!!

It could only happen to me. Does life have to be so difficult?

I posted a switch letter (on 10th Dec and got a certificate of posting) as per Eir's website instructions - "Please note this is the only address we can accept Switcher notification letters to: Switchers team, eir, Floor 2, Heuston South Quarter, St. John’s Road, Dublin 8". However I noticed that the template letter has a different address (Switch, eir Unit 6b, Westgate Business Park, Ballymount, Dublin 24). At this stage I honestly just want to be rid of eir.

Last edited:
Please don't look at the "Customer Service" availability hours on their web-site so; the hours are wildly inaccurate and the phone are not staffed at the week-end based on personal experience last weekend. I have a tech en route as I type, "15 minutes away". We'll see.

FYI. I signed up with Pure Telecom on 7th Dec to switch from eir. I contacted Pure Telecom yesterday and was advised that the switch won't happen until after Christmas but that there won't be a break in service because I'm still with eir. I am now having to pay €76 per month for that privilege.

Last edited:
We are finally back on the air after 2 weeks, with our new service from Pure. A proper engineer (Polish) who knew his job undid the mess of the previous guy.

Now we've just got to sort out the bills /compensation!!

Back