Changing bathroom sink, diy job?

KerryG

Hi, need some advice. I want to remove my bathroom sink which is inset into a unit with the intention of changing the unit to a smaller one and installing one of those over hanging basins. As this will not all be done the same day I need to remove the existing sink and taps but not refit the new one until work is done. I have been told I need to turn off water, remove taps and cap pipes until ready, but it is very difficult to get at the fittings at the back of the sink through the unit underneath. Would it be totally wrong to just break the existing sink to bits leaving the taps and waste pipe still there attached to bits of sink? Seems wasteful but in reality what am I going to do with 15 yr old sink anyway only try and get rid of it. Obviously then I would have to remove the taps when it comes to fitting the new sink but at least it would be easier do it then as the sink wouldnt be in the way. Any suggestions?

I had a similar problem where I couldn't unscrew the water fittings. I eventually used an angle grinder to cut the water pipe as close as I could to the end of th pipe and used some push on fittings from B&Q to cap the pipe.

Back