Changes after moving in??

Sarah

We moved in last Oct and due to a leak in the upstairs bathroom we have had to call the forman back to get a plumber to fix it as it was not done right in the first place, so far its not leaking anymore but i need to contact the foreman again to get the builders back to fix our Sitting room ceiling as the plaster is crumbling due to the water leak upstairs. My question however is can i ask the foreman to fix something else...Our handle on the double doors in the sitting room are on the side of where the TV is piped in and therefore opens that way (often bangs into the tv stand)but on inspection of the neighbours we seem to be the only people who have the handle on the side of the tv, everyone elses is the opposite way and i have been told they put in the door frames backwards! Can i ask the forman to get the builders to fix this at this stage even though we never put this on our snag list?

Thanks in advance

It's really a question of goodwill on the part of the foreman- he could take out the door and frame to reverse it but this will damage architrave, probably the frame itself and he will probably be reluctant to do this. You could offer to pay something towards the work and this might swing it- but if it wasn't on the first snag list then it really isn't a snag- however you've nothing to lose by asking, nicely!

Just spoke to the foreman and asked nicely and was told not so nicely to bugger off... its my fault for not having it on the snag in the first place and its too big a job to be done even though i explained that when i frist seen the door (doing the snag that day)i asked the head builder and why did it open this way and was told that all the houses were like this and it would not be fixed so therefore it was a waste of time to put it on the snag...obviously i couldnt check the other houses at that time so i foolishly took his word for it! I guess im stuck with it!Thanks for the reply carpenter!

There's nothing to stop you looking at getting your own carpenter (or some other competent person) to reverse the door. The architrave need only be fully removed on one side of the door, allowing the frame fixings to be cut with a grinder. If carefully planned and executed this isn't a big or messy job. Alternatively if the door frame has a planted stop the job is even easier as the frame needn't be reversed- a carpenter can tell you if this is the case or not.

Ill probally look into it in the near future but for now what with moving in and new expenditures we are still only finding our feet and at the mo we dont have the spare cash for this to be done but im sure it will annoy me in time to come and ill get it dont then ill have to as out TV unit stand is getting wrecked with the door constantly banging against it! Just really upset and annoyed at the foreman,espically as i was told by one of his men not to bother putting it on the snag as it would be ignored anyway! Live and learn i suppose!Thanks a mill anyway!

For the moment put some kind of door stop in place either on teh door or teh tv stand. You can get ones that don't need to be screwed in so should be eassy enough to remove again.