Change Plans in NY - is 56 mins enough

sooty

Hi all - I have a flight booked from Boston to Dublin with Continental Airlines which neccesitates a change of plane in Newark.......they are allowing 56 mins for this change - does that seem long enought?......or because it is all the one airline is it just a matter of stepping off one plane and on to another without changing terminals etc.

Sooty

Last edited:
I have had this before and as long as the two flights are with the same airline you will be ok. They will check you straight through and if there is a delay, they will accommodate you on the next flight.

It may be best to check with the airline though, I called the company I booked through who told me less than 1 hour was not acceptable even though they made the booking but when I called the airline (Air France) they said it was fine and they were responsible for my connections because they operated both flights.

HTH

My son recently went to San Diago with a two hour stopover in Newark. They wouldn't put the bags straight through. He was told he would have to collect them in Newark, even though it was same airline. His flight was 45 minutes delayed to Newark and because he had to collect his bags he missed the connecting flight. He was put on the next one to San Diago, via Chicago!!!

I wouldn't be sure an hour is long enough. Does depend totally if they put your bag all the way through, and of course, no delays.

Bear in mind the security checks. You will need to go through these again if you change terminals. We were caught at Chicago airport by snaking queues at the scanners for 40 minutes, and we just made our connecting flight.

If you are travelling on both flights with Continental you will arrive and depart at the same terminal in Newark (Terminal C) and will not have to go through security again. At most there will be a 10min walk from the arriving gate to the departure gate and bags will be checked through so if the first flight is more or less on-time there wont be a problem , if there is a delay Continental will look after you.

My son's two flights were with Continental and he was not allowed to check his bags through all the way. He had to collect them in Newark. This will cause a delay.

Different airlines, different policies? A phone-call to Continental may be the best approach. I wouldn't say you won't have a problem, or an airline will look after you, because you don't know that for sure.
We booked our flight through Aer lingus, which entailed a stop-over in Chicago, but their 'partner' airline United was the actual airline for our internal flight in the US. We had to go through security and collect our bags and move them to a different area in Chicago.

My son's two flights were with Continental and he was not allowed to check his bags through all the way. He had to collect them in Newark. This will cause a delay.
That would be correct when flying into the US , bags have to clear US Customs at the first point of entry , however in the OP's case , that will not apply.

Hi, I'm travelling Shannon to Ottawa via Newark with Continental in August and I emailed them asking them will we have to collect our bags in Newark or will they go straight to Ottawa and they replied:
"Your bags will be tagged to travel all the way to your final destination, Ottawa. However, on your first port of entry into the USA, you will have to collect your bags to go through customs. After you have passed through customs, you will be able to drop them with a Continental Representative for continuation of your flight."

If you are coming home, then changing in Newark is a doddle. When you get off your internal flight, you will already be in the Departure Terminal and will not have to go through security. Simply walk gate to gate.

My apologies for my earlier post as I hadn't read the OP's post correctly and I presumed it was Dublin to US. You will probably be fine going back as you don't have to go through security.

You clear US customs in Shannon, so you will not have to collect your bags in Newark. The agent probably did not know as this is new and Shannon is the only place outside North America with this benefit

Thanks Soy, that will be much better so if we don't have to collect our bags!
Thanks for the info.