Change of ownership form returned

denise1234

Hi, Does anyone know roughly how long change of ownership form generally takes to be returned.
Car tax up end Jan and need it to renew tax in my name. If I'm stopped for out of date tax will 'I am waiting for change of ownership form to be returned' suffice?? Can I tax car without this form?
Thanks, D

Not sure how long it takes but haveyou any proof of purchase of the new car/van whatever. If your stopped and you can show this and explain you are awaiting returnof Licence cert you should be ok.

Hi

If you didn't send off the change of ownership form yourself and the garage or person you bought the vehicle off sent it you should check with them that it has actually been sent. I had this problem before with garages who said they sent the form off but didn't.

I actually bought car from family member and sent form off myself so know its definately gone. How long they take to process and return it is another matter! :D Must get something to say bought car on date etc so have something to know cos knowing my luck will be stopped! :rolleyes:

I'd imagine it could be slower at this time of the year given that fact that a lot of people are changing their cars?

Here's what I would do.
Ring your motor tax office, and enquire if their records have been updated to show you as the registered owner.
If yes, then get form RF100a(the motor tax office will tell you, how much it will cost to tax the car and whether there are arrears and if so how much these will cost)and fill it out. Send this off.
You will not have to wait for Shannon to issue a new Vehicle Licencing Cert
Rgds
Billo

Isn't there a piece of paper that you tear off and put in the window?

Back