Change of name after marriage

Pique318

Hi,

What are the implications of not changing your maiden name 'officially' after marriage ?

ie. my wife has changed her name at her work but all 'official' documents are still in her maiden name.

Do Revenue even care as it's the PPS number they operate on?

She's got 7 years left on her passport (old name), and 8 on her Drivers licence.

Where does one go to register a change of name due to marriage ?
Bear in mind that we married (civil) abroad (Italy) and haven't legally needed to register the marriage in Ireland.

Just wondering the implications of this....thanks.

PK.

There is no such thing as "officially" changing your name after marriage. You can just start using your married name (or not). You need your marriage cert to change name on bank accounts/passport etc.

No implications at all. There is no requirement to change name after marriage. I kept mine for the past 24 years without a problem!

My wife changed her maiden name (she hated it!) after our wedding. Our bank account is in the new name, her tax is all done in her maiden name, and her passport is also in her maiden name until it expires in a few years. We travel a lot, especially to the US with it's touchy visa regulations, and there's been no problem.

Only thing I've changed 4 years on is my passport where I've gone the hated double barrelled as I don't want to give up my beloved maiden name but do want to feel more of a family. Changed my passport because the old one expired, needed to send in our marriage certificate with my application.

Bear in mind that we married (civil) abroad (Italy) and haven't legally needed to register the marriage in Ireland.

You don't need to register the marriage in Ireland full stop. Marriages of Irish citizen(s) abroad are registered in the country where they occur.

Your foreign marriage certificate will usually be accepted for official purposes in Ireland where you need to show evidence that you are married. If the certificate is in a foreign language, you must provide an official translation or a translation from a recognised translation agency.

Back