Change of car ownership

Sim2

Hi
I changed my car last week and I have sorted out my tax, insurance & change of ownership details on my (new) second hand car. However, I'm still trying to sell my old car. I remember reading in a thread here a few weeks ago about sending notification to some department to say that you are no longer the owner of that car so that you are not liable for anything that happens to your car from here on e.g penalty points etc. I've searched for this thread but I don't get any results from the search facility. Would anyone happen to know where this thread is or which form I need to send and who to send it to?

Thanks

You should have a change of ownership form (RF101) which is usually attached to the Registration Certificate ("Logbook"). The Dept. of Transport would have sent you this when you bought it. When you sell the car, you need to get the new buyers name, address, contact details etc, and fill out the form and send it back to them in Shannon. Once they receive the form, they enter it on the system and the change of ownership is noted.

However, bear in mind that Penalty points are issued to the 'driver' and not the 'owner' of the car (there may be some offences for which the owner is liable, not sure?). If someone is stopped for speeding in your car, they get Points on their licence.