Change ISP to UTV?

Marple

Considering changing to subscription based internet service as our phone bill(eircom) is too high.

UTV looks good with 180 hours free net per month,and free local and national calls.

Dithering over changing over from eircom. I could go for their subscription service also but it doesn`t include free phone calls.

Would love to hear from anyone who`s changed UTV. How have you found it has compared with eircom? Is the net connection any worse?

Would also like to know how smoothly that changeover goes
-how long does the sign-up take to be fully effective? Don`t want to be phoneless for days!

-is the UTV support service good?

Broadband not available here any time soon.

And I have checked the old sticky here on ISP providers but as they date from `02 figured there might be more uptodate info on this.

Thanks

Marple

Marple said:
UTV looks good with 180 hours free net per month,and free local and national calls.

For a comparison of flat rate dial-up packages see [broken link removed].

Would love to hear from anyone who`s changed UTV. How have you found it has compared with eircom? Is the net connection any worse?

I was using UTV's free (non flat rate) dial-up up to a few months ago and it was generally reliable.

Would also like to know how smoothly that changeover goes
-how long does the sign-up take to be fully effective? Don`t want to be phoneless for days!

I think that they say about 10 days to transfer over. There should be no break in service as you will remain on your old provider until the change is effected.

-is the UTV support service good?

I find it hard to get answers to emailed support issues. I haven't tried phoning. I haven't really had many technical support issues. More things to do with administrative issues when setting up. On the other hand when my broadband gear was delivered when I was out of the country they did move my trial start date back to compensate me for the invonvenience.

Overall I would recommend them. I currently use them for broadband and voice services.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a mill for the prompt and informative reply, Clubman. I guess I`m just finding it hard to change from "the divil you know", though the last phone bill is helping me get over that misplaced loyalty!

Off to sign up with UTV now.

Marple

Clubman if you are going to phone UTVIP be prepared for a long wait, every time I rang the call was answered and I was left holding for about ten to fifteen minutes, they were the most expensive calls on my bill. My reason for numerous calls was when I tried to change to clicksilver and when I had everything connected we were then informed by (the gods) eircom that in my particular area we were on a party line and could not avail of broadband.
However when eventually I got to talk to a UTV representative they have been very helpful and courteous.

Haven't had any probs with UTV telephony and broadband. However, my attempts this morning to get an answer to my Eircom billing query took more than an hour. One person hung up, the second pretended he couldn't hear me and the third after taking all my details told me to hang on, and then transferred me to another (wrong) department. Basically, they continued charging me line rental despite the changeover and argued over dates.

I can't speak highly enough of UTV's service.

I changed to utv last Sept had no problems with them I have the 30 hours internet for 9.99 with free calls evening and weekend, there was no break in changeover and my line rental is still with eircom this is due to change soon,

Thanks for all the replies folks. Glad to see they`re all so positive e changing over to UTV. Have signed up and am looking forward to a much reduced phone bill. Should just be down to the line rental of 24.99 per month-or is there something I can do about that one?

Marple