Chances for Mortgage Approval?

JOH2016

Hi

Background

Hadn't previously contemplated getting a mortgage as I assumed I would be a non-runner due to the type of employment contract I have, but becoming more and more disenamoured of the rental market in Dublin.

My income sources:
Employment: €30k
Non-employment: €19k
Total: €49k

Employment:
I'm employed on a 3 year training contract (professional services) paying €30k gross a year, which will rise to about €47-50k at the end of the contract, but I suppose the potential pay is irrelevant. I'm 2 years into the contract next month. This obviously isn't a 'permanent' position, but I would be kept on after the contract ends or could transfer to another company. Employment prospects post-qualification are good and I'd imagine (or hope) banks might take this into consideration, but maybe not.

Non-employment:
I have a mix of non-employment income totalling €19k - rental income and consulting income. The rental income makes up the majority of this amount. I co-own a building and don't owe any money on it, but as I only co-own it I can't put it up as collateral. It's in a great location and rental voids are highly unlikely as there are multiple tenants and any of them could be replaced in 1/2 weeks if they left.

Credit history:
I have never had a loan. Don't have a credit card. Don't gamble (no Paddy Power bills on my bank statements!).

Ideally/realistically I'd like a mortgage of about €130k, which would be about 78% LTV based on the value of the properties I am considering. I have the other 22% in cash in my account. Obviously I'd be delighted to take 90% LTV if I could get it, but I don't see that happening given my low 'guaranteed' employment earnings.

Considering all my income, a €130k mortgage would represent a 2.65x multiple. If lenders wouldn't consider my non-employment income, then I assume the max I could borrow is 3.5x employment, i.e. €105k.

Queries

Is there any hope of banks taking any of my non-employment income into consideration?

It would be far from ideal, but I could potentially make do with €105k (3.5x employment) and sell some relatively liquid assets/borrow the remainder from family, but am I likely to be even approved for anything considering my employment isn't 'permanent'?

Is there any point in applying directly for a mortgage considering how messy my situation is, or would I go through a broker (assuming I have any hope)?

Thanks

Last edited:
Many people are on (contract) type work. It doesn,t mean no mortgage.
Arrange to contact your own Banks Mortgage person and see what they say.
If knocked back (newly armed with the negatives) approach another Bank etc.
If re-knocked back go to a Broker , Brokers are well clued into the lenders guidelines.

Back