Champion's League Match

jasconius

Anyone see Arsenal? It would have been a tragedy for football if Arsenal had held out?
After the match they moaned about the Ref - never had a good word for Barca who undoubtedly are the most attractive team in the world.

Good to see snooty Henry and his sidekkick Pires as well as the sneaky Cole with his Mourinho 'lunch' disappear off to Spain. Bergkamp retiring too! Arsene Winger will have his work cut out next season!

jasconius said:
snooty Henry and his sidekkick Pires as well as the sneaky Cole
You didn't attend Public School in Britain as a kid by any chance?

Gosh golly ClubMan you are in fine form these days, what ho?

I agree with jasconius though, Barca played them off the field. Arsenal would, and should, have been one down after the sending off if it were not for a bad refereeing decision. They should have thanked him after the match.

Ref ruined the game. He should have allowed the goal and given Lehman a yellow card. The first 15 mins were class. A goal would have served to up the pace and we would have been in for a cracker.

shnaek said:
Ref ruined the game. He should have allowed the goal and given Lehman a yellow card. The first 15 mins were class. A goal would have served to up the pace and we would have been in for a cracker.
And he should not have given the free kick that led to the Arsenal goal since there was no foul. Swings and roundabouts.

Yes, the free kick should not have been given for the first goal but he made basic errors of judgement during the game that helped to spoil the game. In the context of that match last night, he was shockingly bad.

Barca keeper was excellent, Henry was poor, Etoo's finish was fantastic, larsson and iniesta were the big difference when they came on. Result was probably about right, but again, in what is UEFAs showpiece, it was a bad spectacle.

Apparently ITV had their own "Guy Kewney" imposter incident last night when sol campbell was portrayed before the match as a footballer.

Q. what goes beep beep beep beepbeep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beepbeep beepbeep beepbeep beepbeep beepbeep beepbeep beepbeep beep?

A. the arsenal open top bus reversing into the garage.

They played against 10 men for 70mins and our lucky to win, If the ref had done his job by the rules he would of giving a goal and the keeper would have got a yellow card, I do believe if it where 11 V 11 The Arsenal would have come out on top , UEFA got the result they wanted ,I think henry if beaten fairly would have no problem but the manner in which they got beaten is hard to swallow,Very hard playing against 12 men especially when you are down to 10 men

Would have been a nice 'what if' to have seen 11 V 11 but arsenal could consider themselves lucky that the ref fidn't send lehman off AND award the goal -- under the rules he was entitled to.

From a Liverpool '' we have a trophy - na na na na na'' fan

I thought it had to a the goal and a yellow or no goal and a red. Can you clarify that for me gramlab?

Should have been goal and red.
fair result would have been goal & yellow.
stupid decission - red & free kick.
destroyed the game.
henry very poor in game and had the chances to win, especially the 1 on 1 with goalkeeper- he should have scored against his next year employers.

gramlab said:
.. lucky that the ref fidn't send lehman off AND award the goal -- under the rules he was entitled to

According to Johnny Giles, and who am I to argue with him, it could only have been red if Lehman had prevented a goal being scored. As Giuly tapped it in, the ref was in the wrong.

And is it not bizarre that the ref is 'good' enough for the UEFA showpiece, but not for the World Cup ?

The rules state that a red is to be shown only if a goal was directly prevented. If the goal was allowed to stand from that passage of play then Lehmann would not have got the red. At that stage, the ref could have used his discretion to book him for the tackle but not for preventing the goal. The key bit is the passage of play, the ball fell directly to giuly, how the ref couldnt take that information in while he was looking at it is incredible, I know hes come out and said he got it wrong, but ffs, at that level???? (note I wasnt up for either side last night, jsut wanted a good game)

more on the rules....
Liken it to this one, a throw-in is taken that bounces over the keeper and is going into the net having not touched any player, defender deliberately handles the ball on the line to stop it going in. Its a penalty but not a red card as you cant score a goal direct from a throw-in.

another if anyone wants it, defender on the line, attacker shoots, defender stops the ball by throwing a water bottle at it and the ball goes out for a corner. whats the decision?
Same question again but this time its the keeper on the line?

TarfHead said:
According to Johnny Giles, and who am I to argue with him, it could only have been red if Lehman had prevented a goal being scored. As Giuly tapped it in, the ref was in the wrong.
The ref had blown the whistle before the ball was in the net. If anything his mistake was not to play advantage before making a decision. Once the whistle had been blown play was stopped and there is no way he could say "sorry lads - my mistake - play on". Stuff like that only happens in Viz's Billy The Fish.
And is it not bizarre that the ref is 'good' enough for the UEFA showpiece, but not for the World Cup ?
No - why should it be? FIFA WC is a higher level of football than UEFA CL.

ClubMan said:
No - why should it be? FIFA WC is a higher level of football than UEFA CL.

I seem to recall a tremendous standard of refereeing in the last World Cup!!

It could not of been a goal and a sending off that would be against the rules of the game,ie how can the keeper be sent of if he did not prevent a goal going in

I thought Henry gave his all-and he looked shattered while hunched over the ball in the corner in the second half. And it looks like next year's employer is Arsenal. As others have said-the ref could not have given the goal and sent off the keeper (well he could, but it would have been incorrect to do so)-the foul was not dangerous enough to warrant a straight red.