Challenging Intestate

Hellosunshine

We incurred significant personal out of costs to caring for a parent with dementia. We had to travel from overseas and give up jobs. The siblings at home did nothing to help. I had to arrange everything on my return. I have also supported my parents financially whilst poverty was feigned. We also incurred out of pocket costs with respect to legals in obtaining said parent’s care and beyond.

The estate was left intestate. There was no will. When finally resolved the siblings will be receiving a nice gift whilst we will be left clearing costs and left with zero. Surely that’s not right? Have we been mugs? Can we claim our expenses and nothing more? I understand there’s a section 117? I’m not sure if intestate can be challenged with probate? Anybody have any experience with this?

Last edited:
Seems to me you need to make a claim against the estate. All bills outstanding have to be paid before any distribution of assets

I'm a bit confused.

Did you care for your parent in the expectation of an inheritance?

Who was 'pretending' to be poor?

Op your story is very familiar to me. I know a few people who had the same issues with their siblings as did we.

At the end of the day you have to live your own life and be content in that you did what you could. I dont know the answer to claiming expenses from the estate.

@AlbacoreA - no harangue here.

If I wanted to comment on behaviour, I would do so.

These are realistic questions given the subject; was there a promise or expectation of inheritance involved?

And who, parent / sibling / a n other was allegedly obtaining money under false pretenses?

Added: link is Sub only article

I don't have a sub and can read it.
I'm sure thats very nice for you - but it is subscriber.

If you believe its freely available, perhaps you might like to post the text here.

Attachments

• 20200201_150800.jpg
    20200201_150800.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 20
I'm sure thats very nice for you - but it is subscriber.

If you believe its freely available, perhaps you might like to post the text here.
I can see the full article, and I don’t have a subscription.

You’re being very snarky, out of bed on the wrong side today perhaps...

Back