CGT costs

roxymusic

Hi

I am looking at the Revenue's Computation sheet for Disposal of Assets other than Devl. Land (from the Revenue Guide to CGT).

I am trying to determine whether the costs associated with selling shares (in my case) eg stockbrokers costs, expenses associated with lost share certs etc can be considered 'Incidental costs of disposal' and therefore be deducted from any CGT due.

Under the heading Computation, item 5 reads: Less Incidental Costs of Disposal (if any). On Renenues Guidence notes on completion of Computation sheets Incidental Costs of disposal is ' This is expenditure wholly & exclusively incurred by you for the purposes of the disposal e.g. cost of valuing, advertising & legal expenses (& I presume stockbrokers costs).

In addition if the acquisition of shares also incurred charges (& in my case solicitors fees as the shares were willed) can these costs also be deducted from a gain. The Guidence notes state that 'Incidental costs of acquisition such as legal fees, stamp duty are allowable as part of the cost'.

Thanks

Roxymusic

I am trying to determine whether the costs associated with selling shares (in my case) eg stockbrokers costs, expenses associated with lost share certs etc can be considered 'Incidental costs of disposal' and therefore be deducted from any CGT due.
I'm pretty sure that they can - and stamp duty on the original purchase.
In addition if the acquisition of shares also incurred charges (& in my case solicitors fees as the shares were willed) can these costs also be deducted from a gain.
Not sure about these expenses.

Back