CFL's and Dimmer Switches

nonsequitir

A number of the light switches in my house are on dimmers. Is it true that these won't work with any type CFL's? Is the only option to stick with standard bulbs? Could anyone explain the technical reason if this is actually a limitation?

I take it nobody in the green party likes romantic lighting then (unless it's via a non CO2 emitting fire)

I've had 4 dimmable CFLs from Homebase, can't remember the brand now, but it was name brand. Anyway, longest lasting one was about 2.5 weeks, shortest about 2 hours. All dead, but was able to get my money back.

Their is mainly 2 different types of dimmers on the market and shops like Homebase or Woodies generally carry the common one which is a resistive dimmer.
CFL's are small flourecent lamps with an electronic ballast and most fittings using transformers use inductive dimmer's so I think you need an inductive dimmer for a CFL lamp and the best place to get these is an Electrical Wholesaler .( Kellihers,CEF,National Electrical )

related topic - but I'm not convinced on the quality of many of the cfl's out there at the moment. So much so I've stopped buying (having put in quite a few mind you!). After a few months I've noticed that they start to take longer to reach full brightness - also the fact that the level of brightness just diminishes over the course of a year. I'll continue to use he ones I have for the landing, lamps etc ie. background lighting - but not mainstream.

Their are some brands that say theirs' are not subject to that I believe - but I don't fancy paying €15-18 per bulb at the moment as it sort of defeats the whole purpose which results in "save energy - but it'll cost ya nicely to do so"

Anyone found high quality, low cost clfs......GU10's, bayonet cap's, screw caps out there?

ninsaga

Last edited: