cert of compliance for garage con?

M

mac74

I was wondering if a cert of compliance is needed for converting a side attatched garaged into a kitchen? Work involved would be raising garage wall height and putting a pitched roof on? also is planning required? roof height would be 4m and window would match exsisting house windows...thanks in advance

Hi Mac74,
From a cert of compliance point of view do you mean for mortgage purposes?? On planning permission, if you are putting in a window to front or sides you need planning permission. Also because your garage is to the side of the house I think planning is required as you are modifying height and pitch

Hi Mac74,

With regard to planning permission, if it is to the rear of the property, no planning permission but this is also dependent on the size of the extension can't remember exact square meterage. If the extension is visible from the road, yes you would need planning. Certificate of compliance comes into being if you ever need to see your house. If you go ahead and build now and don't get a certificate from Architect or engineer, it may prove difficult in years to come. My advice get the Certificate of Compliance now and avoid any difficulties later.

without knowing more of the particulars, this is a hard one to call.

My advise would be to contact your local authority and request a section 5...
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0030/sec0005.html

this is an official declaration by the council as to whether your development is exempt from permission or not...

personally, i would think that permission is needed... whilst the conversion of the garage is exempt, the raising of the wall and construction of the pitched roof over probably isnt....

why do you need to raise the wall? are you simply refering to building the gable end for the pitched roof?? or will you be raising the front eaves of the garage??

Thanks all,
the rising of the outside garage wall is to get the internal ceiling up to 8 ft, approx two blocks high. Looks like planning and cert of compliance are required so eventhough the floor area woundn't be greatly increased, the new window in the front and new roof seemingly would require planning.The garage is attached to the side of the house and cert would be most prob be required for mortgaging at some stage

mac74, just to be picky i would argue that the new window wouldnt need permission, (its is considered inherent to change a garage door to window in this case)...the garage conversion doesnt need permission either, just the increased walls and new roof.

you are correct about the certification to draw down the mortgage.

If I was acting for a purchaser of this property I would seek evidence in the form of an Opinion or Certificate from an Engineer/Architect/Surveyor that
A. Either the works required Planning Permission or not. If not the reasons why and if yes I'd like to see the PP and evidence of compliance.
B. In any event that the works had been done properly and in compliance with Building Regulations which, as I understand, apply across the board to any structural works affecting the integrity of a premises.

If I was the owner of the house, I would like to know that all was in order and not rely on a builder to confirm to me verbally that it was all grand.

mf