Ceramic V Porcelain tiles

Toby

I've found cream tiles I really like for a large area including kitchen, breakfast room and loo. However, they are ceramic. I've been told all along by salesmen that ceramic tiles are inferior as if they break the brown clay behind them will be visible which is not a problen with porcelan as they are cream all the way through. How likely are tiles to get broken though and if they get a crack couldn't I just cover the clay with cream groute to hide it? They are a lot cheaper as well so I can buy extra to replace damaged ones (if its feasible to remove single tiles on a floor). Thanks, have to get them asap as on sale.

Re: Ceramic V Porcelan tiles

wouldn't see a major problem with the ceramic! I think this "if they crack" business is a ploy to get us to part with even more cash! Sure my folks have ceramic tiles in their bathroom and there is a little chip and you can see the clay behind it, but its not a major issue! would say chipping is more likely that a tile cracking! Dont know about being able to lift one damaged tiles though! Priced porcelain at weekend, €110/m2! Unbelieveable! i personally have a preference for the porcelain look, polished porcelain that is! aparently anything above €60/m2 does not require sealing but below that, especially in a kitchen area, requires sealing annually!

Great, thanks. Anyone else see a problem? They never tell you about sealing the porcelain! We have porcelain in bathroom, wonder if need to seal?

Back