Central London Accommodation

Newbie!

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any recent recommendations for a central london hotel. It's for a couple over a weekend and whilst we dont mind getting the tube, we'd rather not be too far away from the main touristy spots.

Any thoughts? Am also open to idea apartments etc.

If you would like an apartment Google Minc apartments I'm just back from staying in one of theirs they have them in numerous locations you can map them on their website. I found them clean fresh and good value.

What airport are you flying into ? ... this can make a difference as some hotels are much more convenient for different airports ... e.g. the Hoxton Hotel that Sunny mentions is very handy for Stansted or City .. but pretty inconvenient to get to from Heathrow - (It's quite close to Liverpool Street Station)

Hotels in the "City" (Financial District) tend to have good deals at the weekend .. but the area is a bit quiet (well dead really!) on Saturdays and Sunday .. try this place for example - [broken link removed] (again handy for Stansted or City, but much less convenient for Heathrow)

Flying into Heathrow. In the past, we've gotten the tube into covent garden and stayed around there so its been really convenient.

I'm looking at the secret hotels on lastminute right now. Some great deals to be had!
Hoxton looked great but not great location from heathrow. And http://www.strandpalacehotel.co.uk/ was a little more than I wanted to spend.

Sorry to hijack thread, but I need to stay near Waterloo station during the summer and was wondering could anyone recommmend a hotel close to it and what the area itself is like?

Sorry to hijack thread, but I need to stay near Waterloo station during the summer and was wondering could anyone recommmend a hotel close to it and what the area itself is like?

Parts of it are very touristy especially the bits near the river as you've got the London Eye/Aquarium/national Theater etc in the area. Some of the other streets in and around the station itself can be a bit scummy.

Cheers Mpsox, I have to get a train from Waterloo so was planning to stay close to there to make it handy.

There's a Park Plaza hotel right behind Waterloo Station - it's quite new and probably quite nice (and expensive I'd guess) - .. that's the only hotel I can think of nearby - it would be within 5 minutes walk from the platforms at Waterloo .. as mpsox observes it's not the most ideal area for staying in so there's not many hotels on that side of the river really.... There may be a Travelodge or Premier Inn around there too .. but you can likely do better than them !

we ended up risking it and booked a secret hotel on lastminute. All the 'revealed' threads online indicated it was the 5* Hilton Waldforf in Covent Garden. It wasn't! It is instead the 5* Grange Holborn near Covent Garden. The reviews are mixed but mainly ok but it looks like a 3*. Paid €230 for 2nights room only so not too bad I suppose.