central heating timer for holiday home - whats best?

olivia

we have to replace central heating timer in our holiday home (after being used approx 6/7 times!). It is the standard cheap one. Can anyone suggest what type of timer might be best to fit in a holiday home which is unoccupied for most of the winter?

I have one that I use that has a "Holiday" function on it.

Basically, when you leave you enter in the next date you are going to be there and it will keep the heating off until midnight of the day before you are to arrive back.

Its a built in thermostat aswell that you can put in a frost setting so if the temp drops below this pre defined temp, it will turn on the heating until it exceeds this setpoint. Normally I set it for about 6deg C

Would this be something you're thinking of?

Danfoss make a great range, as to Heatmiser.

Google either for more info.

What I would get, in your case, is a "programmable thermostat". This is what the previous poster was describing. It allows you to set the desired temprature up to a few times a day, an well as setting it to a minimum (frost protection), or letting it come up for an hour a day.

You can also set it to holiday mode, which maintains a minimum temprature for the input number of days before going back to normal mode.

The programmable thermostat will replace the timer, as well as a thermostat, (if you have one).

I put one in my in-laws holiday home and it does the job perfectly.

I would also have a frost stay added to a system that would remain dormant for so long to protect the system in very cold weather

Back