Central Heating System

E

ECdublin

i was wondering if anyone could help me. i have a central heating system that runs on oil. the problem i have is that the pressure in the system keeps falling down to zero on the gauge. I have been using the manual top up system to keep the pressure between .5 and 1, but I am finding that the system requires manual topping up on a more frequent basis.

I originally thought that pressure might have been escaping through the radiators but they all seem fine. I have also checked all the upstairs floors/ downstairs ceilings for leaks but i cant see any signs of leaks. The boiler seems to be working ok too.

I have a feeling that it is one of the pipes downstairs (below the floor) that is leaking. Can anyone offer any advice on sourcing the leak? If it is the downstairs pipes leaking is there any type of device that can be used to locate leaks?

any advice is appreciated, its such an annoyong problem

check the in/out pipes connections at the boiler. if there is rust visible, thats where the leak is.

Depending on your system its also possible that the pressure vessel is corroded & the water leaks from there - this happened to me - the pressure vessel is used in a closed centeral heating system & if you have one its usually located at the oil burner - turn on the heating & monitor this PV for a few minutes to see if it leaks

We've experienced that kind of problem (pressure going down) over the past 2 years and couldn't track down the cause. Some months ago - the plumber (a different one that time) had 'bled' most of the radiators, and then the problem recurred. Getting fed up of going to the airing-press with the cylinder/gauge to 'top up'. If that is due to leak - how can 'invisible' leaks (e.g. underground outside the house, to the boiler/burner, piping concealed inside the internal walls) be traced? As ECDublin said, there's a real need for some kind of device to track such leaks. any ideas?

allendog

Back