Central Heating Question...

JMR

Radiators are not heating up properly. Heating at top only, indicating sludge build-up. System is approx. 15 yrs old
Had a plumber look at it today.
Just wanted opinions on the following, He said he can remove and flush out the downstairs radiators only and the upstairs radiators will empty out of sludge naturally while he circulates water through the system (can't be removed from wall).
Quoted Eur 500 for the above... Also mentioned that this sort of work cannot be guaranteed!!!

Other option is to replace all radiators, upstairs and downstairs which he quoted Eur 2000 for (7 Rads)

Anybody in the trade able to give opinions on the above please?

Sorry I can't answer your question JMR but I'm wondering if anyone has installed gas central heating from scratch lately into a 3 bed house and how much it cost. We're thinking of putting a bid in on a property which needs heating installed so want to be able to reflect this in our offer. Looking at bord gais website, it doesn't seem to be too expensive to bring a gas supply into the house but I'm sure the rest adds up!

2000 is not bad, i am not in trade but just got a bungalow completglet re-done. rads can be dear but the best are barlo roundtop so it depends on what he is giving you.

as for second post just do a new thread dont hijack this one.

naoh

Get the plumber to put some fernox in the system when he is finished to stop corrosion in the rads .

Roo,
We had to get our central heating system replaced including the pipework so the only extra cost you'd have would be in getting the gas brought up to your house from the main street pipework.
For 8 rads with thermostatic valves, a new wall boiler to replace the baxi fire boiler, flushing, new pipework, a new hot water cylinder and a fire our cheapest quote was 6400. We went with this and I was very impressed with the neatness of the lads work.Originally we wanted to use the existing pipework and had agreed 5900 with the company. When they came to do the job, some of the pipework crumbled so they said they would completely repalce the piping for 500 quid bringing it to 6400. I think it was worth it though as we didnt know how bad the existing pipework was and could have been looking at having to get the pipework done again a few years down the line.
I think the 8 rads part of the quote was about 2400 to replace..