Central Heating microbore

Johnny Boy

My plummer is installing central heating using microbore has anyone had expierence of this type before.He will have a seperate pipe to each radiator coming back to the manifold. just cannot find much on this on AAM.Microbore is a type of copper pipe that is easily bended.

I haven't heard much about microbore in recent years, it is a soft copper pipe, comes in rolls and can be bent without tools, diameter is usually 10mm (3/8"). I don't think it's favoured much now because of problems with its use in the past, issues arose with pipework scaling up, poor design and poor performance. Conventional heating sytems using "small bore" will use manifolds with dedicated runs to individual radiators.

Don't want to alarm you or anything but I spoke to a seasoned building services engineer yesterday and asked him about microbore- he said to stay away from it. It's old technology, prone to problems and not worth looking at; does your plumber have a good reason to be using this over a more conventional plastic piped option?

seasoned building services engineer yesterday and asked him about microbore- he said to stay away from it. It's old technology, prone to problems and not worth looking at

It depends who you talk too. I spoke with a gas boiler supplier who favoured the system as it has a low water volume, so the water heats quickly therefore it can be economic as well.
My sisters house is done in 10mm copper and has run trouble free for years, I've seen houses done in 10mm plastic too. I'm sure a lot of it depends how well the system is designed and installed.

Foamcutter, yeah that's true too- I know of one older microbore system which runs very well too. However I'd imagine the system would work best in smaller properties with a limited number of rads and relatively short pipe runs (like the property I know).

Back