central heating hot water query

Roundy#

On our recently constructed house, I've opted for the option of having continuously hot water in the cylinder, with boiler kicking in and out to keep the water hot. Thermostat on cylinder is set to 60 degrees.

Seems to be working ok so far. Just wondering if people have experience with same over a longer period than myself - in terms of fuel consumption and whether a timed hot water system would be better??

Also what's happening recently is the overflow pipe from hot water tanks trickles from time to time. Stop cock seems ok and we have an expansion tank in place also. Problem is rectified by leaving a hot tap on for a minute or so?? Not sure why this is happening - would anyone have any suggestions??

Also what's happening recently is the overflow pipe from hot water tanks trickles from time to time.
Do you mean that water is boiling out of the tank through the vent pipe from the top of the tank into the attic tank and then overflowing or the main cold water tank is overflowing? If the former is the case then your immersion thermostat may be incorrect or faulty. Water in the tank should not exceed c. 60 degrees celsius as far as I know.

Thermostat on cylinder is set to 60 degrees.........Also what's happening recently is the overflow pipe from hot water tanks trickles from time to time.

I'd guess that the cylinder stat is mounted on the side, which means that the temperature of the water in the top of the cylinder will be quite a bit higher, resulting in your overflows.
Probably reducing the setting to about 55 degrees will cure it.

If hot water trickles at all from an ordinary hot water cylinder open vent into the storage tank you should not use the hot water at all until a competent plumber has inceased the standing height of the open vent pipe (which must be all copper) to his satisfaction ask him to check the immersion heater thermostat. He will explain all.

If you have water trickling from a combination cyinder overflow pipe then your plumber will fit a new ballvalve and set it at the correct level.

If water is trickling from your plumbing storage tanks (you did use plural) Then he will set ball valve lower.

Water level is set to high in many central heating feed/expansion tanks not allowing enough room to store expanded water when heating is on This may dump water via overflow into plumbing tank. Should have separate overflow to external as it may contain corrosion inhibitor.

some of this may be relevant

Last edited:
Back