Central heating and timers

whackin

I have a gas boiler which has on it, an on/off switch, a rudimentary heat level dial (with 7 levels) and a timer which can be off/constant/timed depending on whether the bits are in or out.

Separately (this is what confuses me) there is a Centaurplus c21 timer/control unit on the wall separate from the boiler. It has two channels i.e. it can be used to heat water or central heating or both. You can set three on/off times for each channel. Alternatively you can set it so that it is on all day from here. There is also a 1hr boost button.

The problem is that I have no idea how the two relate to each other. What setting should the boiler timer be on in order for the wall timer to work. Should it be on off position, constant, or timed? Also should the on/off swithc of the boiler itself always be on?

Put the timer on the gas boiler on constant. Set the temperature on the gas boiler around half way or higher (really depends on your comfort level)

Set the times on the Centaurplus to suit your day and put it on auto. The Centaurplus should then turn on and off the gas boiler as needed.

On/off switch on gas boiler should be set to on.

You will probably have a thermostat (maybe two - one for bedrooms and one for living area) somewhere that would need to be adjusted to betweeen 19 and 21.

Thanks! That seems logical yet its a combination I haven't tried! Thank you!

Just quick queston on this again. When I did as suggested here, the system seems to work fine when it is scheduled to be heating. However when it is scheduled to be off, the oiler keeps firing up for 30 seconds or so eevery 20 seconds. Is this the normal operation of a boiler. Even when it's not supposed to be heating should it be firing up?

No, the wiring is out of sync, you need to ensure that the feed to the boiler is the one that fires it up independent of the boiler thermostat. You are getting cyling ie the boiler is controlled by its own thermostat so it is heating the water in the boiler to what its thermostat says it should be. You will still need the boiler stat to kick in otherwise the water would get far too hot.

I am having the same trouble as you explaining this to my electrician/plumber. My good luck is that I have my sytem working fine in current house. I got electricain to run a feed from boiler to a wall thermostat and then I replaced the wall thermostat with my own drayton digistat 3 controller, turned the heating to contant on the original ch timer switch and it works like a dream.

noah

It sounds to me that the stat on the wall does not control the boiler but the motorised valves. You need to tie your boiler into the timeclock so that when any one of the zones are on/open that your boiler will come on and therefore when all zones are off then the boiler will be too.

Thanks for the info people. It is a new apartment so I think I'll go bakc to the builder on it. At least now I've a better idea of what is actually wrong.

This is what is happening and cycling of the boiler is not good so you need to get someone out to look at it, in the meantime as a temporary measure set the on/off times on the boiler to match your clock.

What should happen is that the power supply for the boiler should run through the clock. In your case it seems that the boiler is running off it's own feed and as mentioned the timer is only controlling the zone valves.

It's a relatively simply job if the wiring is in place between your clock and boiler.