Central Credit Register - Incorrect information

jackbetal

My cousin came to me for advice but I'm not certain I'm giving him best advice. He had a PIA a few years back and paid a lump sum to get it accelerated. But in the last few months he has now found out that on his CCR report a live entry from a vulture fund plus another entry from a bank credit card entered in mid 2017 on his report. Both of these were part of his PIA and were completely finished at the end of his PIA a few years previous. I believe neither should have ever been entered as they were not live since long before the CCR came into existence. I also am of the opinion that there has been a major breach of data as he requested a loan in recent years unaware of these being wrongly submitted on the CCR and therefore his information was then seen by a third party who would never had seen it but only for the incorrect entries by both the vulture fund and the bank.
I'd really appreciate opinion on this.
Thanks
Jack

Hi Jack, Similar-ish issue here. my old bank had been submitting incorrect information to the ICB for a significant amount of time and I was refused credit in the last year because of it. I've reported it to the data protection commissioner but I don't know if there is anything more that can be done. the bank have claimed that the information has been corrected and I have requested a credit report.

My cousin came to me for advice but I'm not certain I'm giving him best advice. He had a PIA a few years back and paid a lump sum to get it accelerated. But in the last few months he has now found out that on his CCR report a live entry from a vulture fund plus another entry from a bank credit card entered in mid 2017 on his report. Both of these were part of his PIA and were completely finished at the end of his PIA a few years previous. I believe neither should have ever been entered as they were not live since long before the CCR came into existence. I also am of the opinion that there has been a major breach of data as he requested a loan in recent years unaware of these being wrongly submitted on the CCR and therefore his information was then seen by a third party who would never had seen it but only for the incorrect entries by both the vulture fund and the bank.
I'd really appreciate opinion on this.
Thanks
Jack
There is a mechanic on the Central Credit Register for requesting an amendment. You are prompted to upload documents - relevant here would be his certificate of discharge from his PIP and statement of payments disbursed to his creditors which his PIP would have given him. The CCR then pick this up with the bank / fund and they have a set time to fix or explain why. This should be his first step. If debts are written off then they should appear as such and have a scheduled removal date (5yrs from completion of PIA). In my experience this works. Previous correspondence directly with the institution including numerous registered letters did not. Good luck.

There is a mechanic on the Central Credit Register for requesting an amendment. You are prompted to upload documents - relevant here would be his certificate of discharge from his PIP and statement of payments disbursed to his creditors which his PIP would have given him. The CCR then pick this up with the bank / fund and they have a set time to fix or explain why. This should be his first step. If debts are written off then they should appear as such and have a scheduled removal date (5yrs from completion of PIA). In my experience this works. Previous correspondence directly with the institution including numerous registered letters did not. Good luck.

Apart form getting your credit rating updated with the correct information, is there any other comeback?

Apart form getting your credit rating updated with the correct information, is there any other comeback?
Not that I know of. I have found that the institutions have been responsive to the CCR and adhered to their terms in relation to response times. Direct approaches were useless.
I assume any refusal to comply would require a complain to the Data Commissioner though I don't know what if any penalties they can impose.

Thanks, I have already reported the issue to the data commissioner. But the bank has corrected the issue.
Just gets my back up that they can say 'ah well, we've fixed it now' and walk away.

They are human - depends on how fast they resolve and if you have been Materially affected as a result of their error.

They are human - depends on how fast they resolve and if you have been Materially affected as a result of their error.
Actually I think it's that there are no repercussions for them. They do not care and do not prioritise and in my experience are incompetent until a body with teeth gets involved and then something gets done. But as Stuboy says, they correct THEIR mistake and that's it. No apology, no accountability.

Back