Celtic Link Ferries

Christy

I am looking at making a booking with Celtic Link Ferries as they are around €600 cheaper than Irish Ferries on Rosslare to Cherbourg next July. Has anyone ever used them, if so how did you find their facilities/service.

Thanks

Christy

I've heard that they are basically a cargo ship with no facilities.

Thanks for that PGD1, I had heard something similar. Now I have to decide if the savings of €650 is worth the lack of services.

Christy

Had a friend who used them about a month ago when Irish Ferries was out. He found them grand, no complaints at all and spent the money he saved on wine over there!

Hi, we used them early Dec to get to France.

No problem at all but entertainment facilities are conspicious by their absent - bring a book or better still, two !

Food is included in price - self-service in open dining room. It was fine and there was plenty of it.

Cabin was grand - two beds - not bunk beds! - shower, toilet etc

It is NOT a cruise ship but it will get you to France. If you have kids, be prepared to entertain them.

Joe

Hi,

I travelled to and from France with them last summer. Found them great; staff friendly, food/bar adequate, cabin clean. €600 saved on a 17 hour crossing that you will be asleep for 8 hours or ain't bad. Most of the other passengers were truck drivers, and I found that the lack of families/tourists made for a much quieter clamer trip that on the usual ferries - specifically no games rooms, noise, loud music, loud drunks etc. The ferry is smaller than the Irish Ferries cruisers and consequently the crossing rougher if the seas are bad.

As mentioned before though - do bring books/music players/toys as required. They do have a TV in the lounge, just wouldn't fancy your chances of getting anything but the footie on it!

N.

Did anyone take the family to France this year with car, roof box and bikes.

Are the savings really huge in July/August versus Brittany Ferries or Irish Ferries.

I see from there website that they have up to five bunks in a room with limited availability. Is the accomodation clean and is the food good ?

Thanks

Irish Ferries prices have come down a lot this year. I compared CLF and IF earlier this year and found IF actually cheaper.

Travelled with Celtic Ferries last June, returning early July and were very pleased. The cabin, while basic was much bigger than Irish Ferries and as already stated two separate beds, not bunks. We prefer no razamataz, so find the quieter smaller bar and lounge more pleasing than IF, but we didn't have any children. The food was fine and the staff very nice. We saved about €250. We would use Celtic Ferries again.