Celing paint colour advice

mct1

We have several large rooms to paint and are planning to use a pale cream/off white colour. Is there any reason why we shouldn't paint the ceiling the same colour as the walls since this would make the job much quicker? Two of the ceilings are high and vaulted.

If you paint the ceilings the same colour your head will swim when you enter the room. The standard is white as it reflects any light thats around and puts a finish to the walls.

You could of course do a trial run and prove ne wrong.

noah

I've always painted ceilings white in the past. But I've also painted whole rooms white and I've never noticed my head spinning when I'm in them, or the absence of finish to the walls. Maybe I'm just looking for an easy ride but any more opinions would be welcome.

an off white cream colour on a ceiling would look like it needed painting all over again.
My parents in laws living room has a yellowish cream ceiling from smoking in it and I imagine if you painted your ceiling that color it might look the same

A white ceiling always looks clean

I'd be inclined to go for the same paint on the ceiling. Your rooms are large and the colour is neutral so you should have no problem carrying it off. The off white colour tends to be warmer and softer than 'brilliant' white. I've painted my rooms a warm white in the past and when I was retouching I was sorry the ceiling wasn't the same colour as it's so handy. The only drawback I see is that if you don't go for brilliant white, it tends to be more expensive. Happy painting, Priscilla.