Celbridge and Leixlip.

candygirl

Hi,I am just wondering what the areas of Celbridge and Leixlip are like?,infrastructure,amenities,transport,estates etc..thanks.

Be more specific, ie areas ? they are both too vast to pigeon hole what you are looking for.

Im not from the area so I dont know, just wondering in general what are nice areas and not so nice, as im looking to buy maybe in these locations.
Is there many shop pubs etc and whats the commute like as my partner works in Bluebell. Id like to stay close to the train station as if needed do you know estates near there. Any info would be great. Thanks

Leixlip is divided into two areas, colloquially called "The Hill" and "The Far End", and has been the cause of some minor skirmishes on the main street in the past! Nothing too serious though in the main, just the usual teenage high spirits! Each area has its own church, schools (primary & secondary) and GAA clubs.

If you're looking to stay close to the train, then you might consider estates near the top of Captain's Hill (River Forest, Glendale at the top of the hill or Riverdale, Dun Carraig further down). The train station (Leixlip Confey) is at the top of the hill. There's also a bus service from River Forest estate (route 66A). The top of the hill is about 1 mile walk from the main street - and it's quite a hill!

There's another train station, Louisa Bridge, which is a bit further from the main street of Leixlip itself. There are estates within walking distance, not all are first-time buyer territory though. I don't know much about estates at that end of the town. The Louisa Bridge end of town is handier for the M4 which may suit your other half. There are bus services which run through the main street and by Louisa Bridge (route 66 from Maynooth/Kilcock).

As regards shops etc - there isn't a major supermarket in Leixlip, only a Super Valu, Lidl and a few Spars and local shops. The nearest supermarket/shopping centre is in Maynooth (Tesco), you're not too far from Liffey Valley for non-food shopping.

Like a lot of old towns/villages, there are lots of pubs on the main street in Leixlip, plus a few dotted around the outlying areas. Some nice restaurants (Da Vinci's Italian, Amber Regent or Miss Wong's Chinese and Sammy's for chips!). There are several hotels with bars and restaurants attached. My favourite pub was the Salmon Leap, which I understand is due to close (if it hasn't already) - a great loss!

Leixlip also has a rugby club (Barnhall) and a thriving Variety Group which put on a musical and a panto each year.

I lived in Leixlip (River Forest) for several years and liked it. A friend of mine has lived there for 25 years and wouldn't leave it.

Apologies about spelling/punctuation etc. As I typed this out already and the board does not allow you to be logged in for a certain period of time ie. 20 minutes;

I am from Lucan but have lived in Leixlip (River Forest) and now live in Maynooth.

Transport:
Leixlip could be problematic to get to Bluebell as the N4 is widely known as one of the worst traffic blackspots
this side of the country, especially at Lucan. It has often taken me 30+ minutes to get from Lucan-Leixlip (1.2. miles)
in the morning so that may not be suitable. There problem with the good train service is that it is always full
by the time it would arrive at Leixlip Confey (It is widely known as the Calcutta Express) but it is served well
by the 66A/B/D/X services. The nightlink also services the area.

Amenities / Shops:
There are plenty of shops and amenities in the area, with the usual LIDL and ALDI, SuperValue two Spars and with Maynooth
Tesco just up the road and not being too far from Lucan Tesco (a kip) but also there is a Superquinn in Lucan (which
is the flagship store in Ireland) you have plenty of options. Plenty of green areas, the Amenity centre has a gym,
soccer and GAA pitches. There is also the Canal walk which caters for the more adventurous walker. As the previous
poster noted, pretty much all of the takeaways / eateries. There is also a nightclub called the Ozone in the village. There
are more pubs in and around the village / Up the Hill than in the Far-End / new estates.

Estates:
The previous poster pretty much covered all of the Hill, there are other areas such as Leixlip Park and Castletown
but you may opt for a newer area such as Glen Easton or Beech Park. Avoid 'Knocknamona' (sp?)as it is a council estate.

Transport:
Celbridge is on the Cork/Galway train line which is served by Hazelhatch train station. I am not sure of how
frequent the service is, but it is located 5 minutes from the village (driving) There is also a frequent bus service
which is the 67/A/X service. The nightlink also services the area. It may be more viable for you to commute via the
Naas road from Celbridge to Bluebell

Amenities / Shops:
There are plenty of shops. A newly constructed Tesco Extra and an Apple Green and Esso fuel station which have low
fuel rates at the weekend to rival the Tesco Maynooth petrol station. There is a LIDL, Michaelangelos / Marios (both Italian
restaurants) Godfathers Pizza and Macaris and other little shops dotted around the area. There are football pitches and GAA
pitches and there is an Irish school and there are the secondary schools (Wolstans / Salesians) There are plenty

Estates:
There are quite a few nice estates, Beatty Grove, Castletown, Oldtown Mill (about 5 years old, have two friends living there, very nice
area) and there are newer developments such as Hazelhatch Park, Wolstan Abbey (looks very nice) Primrose Gate which I do not have any prior knowledge
of) Avoid 'Ballynakelly' (sp?) as it is a council estate. Hazelhatch Park and Primrose Gate are both close to the train
station as is Wolstan Abbey.

Transport
As I am only living in Maynooth the past couple of months, I cannot comment too much, but so far it seems to be a lovely
area. It is served by the excellent 66 bus route and has the addition of many of the trains starting in Maynooth so getting
a seat is never a problem. There is also a 66X service in the morning which By Passes Leixlip/Lucan and takes 40 minutes to
get into the city. It would be more suitable to travel to Bluebell via the Naas Road via Straffan.

Amenities / Shops
There is the obvious Maynooth NUI College which has such a historical present in the area, plenty of pubs, Bradys, Roost,
The Clock, L.A. and there is a nightclub called the Glenroyal. There is the Tesco (soon to be a Tesco Extra) Manor Mills
Shopping Centre (which has a 24 hour Dunnes Stores, Tesco is also 24 hour) there is also a large SuperValu (beside the Glenroyal)
and plenty of soccer and GAA pitches. There is also a playground near the train station. There are plenty of eateries, Donatellos
(Italian restaurant) Mizzonis, Rebel Pizza, Maximus (take-away) SuperMacs, a chinese and a 'specialty food' restaurant, (cannot
remember the name of it) which services crocodile, ostrich, etc,

Estates:
As it is a student town, there are a few estates which lodge alot of students, ie. Kingsbury, Meadowbrook but these are
more established areas. There are new areas such as Moyglare Hall, Carton Demense and Griffin Rath. Maybe other posters
can comment on the areas as I do not have enough knowledge (other than Moyglare Hall which is a lovely area) The older
estates Kingsbury and Meadowbrook would be closer to the train station than the newer areas. ie. Moyglare is a 20 minute
walk from the train station.

hi

I live in Gleneaston a really nice esate, im only 5 minutes from celbridge which has tesco and close to maynooth.It is a very nice esate well maintained and house are good and big.it is close to the train station aswell.

Hello,

I live in Hazelhatch Park and I love it, can't recommend it enough. It's a lovely quiet estate and I'm lucky to have really nice neighbours. I think you get the best of both worlds here - 10-15 min walk to the train station, 10 min walk to the village and 10 min walk to the nearest bus stop. The nitelink service is excellent - it really only takes about 20-25 mins to get home. There are some nice local pubs too - especially The Abbey and Mucky Duck, both serve great food. There isn't much shopping but Liffey Valley is only a couple of stops away. Plus - there are a few good local butchers, restaurants, veg shop, the 24hr Tesco, off-licence, video shop, newsagents etc. Best of luck is making your decision but I think you shld definitely choose Celbrigde :?

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write all this info, im gobsmacked. !
You are a wealth of information ;-) Just reading there maybe Celbridge would be better for the travel to work, So im going there tomo,to have a look around. Never thought it would be this hard trying to find a location to live.
Anyway you all have gave me so much info Im sorted, and thanks again ;-)

We moved to Abbey Farm , on the Clane Rd in Celbridge last May from the Dublin 8 area and we love it. Like you I head in the direction of Bluebell every morning but dont quite go as far as it. I stop off at Parkwest and head to Tallaght then. In order for me to finish my creche drop off at Parkwest but 0810 at the latest we leave Celbridge at 0715! We travel in the direction of Newcastle and around by the recently burned down Polly Hops pub and onto the Nangor rd. In a nice world this trip should take 15-20 mins in the car but the Nangor rd can be dreadful at times but I have to say in the past few weeks we have been flying down it in the mornings! Celbridge has what we were looking for in a place to live. Plenty of dofferent ways to travel in to town-train-bus etc..some nice pubs, restaurants a 24 he Tesco and lots more.
Best of luck with your decisions.

My sister moved to Oldtown Mill this time last year and absolutely loves it. there are great neighbours and the whole estate is always very well kept.

Hi we went to Celbridge Sat and thought it was a lovely place,though the traffic in Celbridge town was mental the traffic lights were out so it was down to that maybe, Anyway can you drive the m50 to Celbridge or would that be the worst route to take? Fluffy 47 you say you travel to Newcastle then Nangor rd when your coming from Celbridge do you have to travel down the back road that leads you to a small bridge that you cant even see over! and just one car per time, lol then into Newcastle as I cant think of any other way
from Celbridge to Newcastle do you turn at the pub heading to the Nangor rd oh yeah where does Nangor road go to? Sorry about all the questions bit like AA road watch lol. Thanks

If you're talking about the traffic lights at the bridge, they're always out. I understand that they caused more trouble than they resolved.

Read this to see what future development is happening in Celbridge. There is going to be a new town centre with promises of restaurants, cinemas, leisure centres, shops with two main anchors, large creche, large outdoor plaza......

Note this is only in the very early planning stages, so won't happen for a few years yet.

Yes it was the traffic lights at the bridge, Thats mental!! I couldnt cope with that everyday, How comes there's nothing done about it.

Thanks for the link it really helpful.

The lights are not out, they just have never been switched on. Depending on where in Celbridge you are coming from (four directions) you could go towards Maynooth to the Celrbridge N4 interchange to get directly onto the N4 to get to the M50. Yes, you would have to go over the Hazelhatch bridge, (not a problem if you do it every day, just give a flash of the aul lights and a quick beep and you will be grand) Where does the Nangor Road go to ? ParkWest (if you continue straight past LIDL / all junctions towards Clondalkin village)