Ceiling Speakers

Kelmar

When doing a major renovation on my house some time ago the Architect advised me to put wiring in for ceiling speakers, which I did. I have since been advised that ceiling speakers are not the best for sound quality. Since I already have the wiring in place I would like to install speakers, not least because the wiring hanging from the ceiling looks awful!

I know nothing about speakers so dont really know what to look for when evaluating them. I would appreciate any advice.

Can anyone recommend a good quality ceiling speaker? I will most like also have installed some good quality wall mounted speakers

I'd talk to Wexfordman if I was you. He's got a kick-a$$ structured sound system in his place and would advise you pretty well.
Otherwise, go check these sites out...

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
http://hiddenwires.co.uk/index.html
http://www.hometech.com/learn/index.html

I'd talk to Wexfordman if I was you. He's got a kick-a$$ structured sound system in his place and would advise you pretty well.
Just to add to that, search for "Sonos" and you'll come across a lot of the discussions Pique318 is referring to re Wexfordman (and some general sound system info from previous threads).

Did someone mention my name ?

I got my ceiling speakers from a crowd in waterford a good few years ago, and am happy with the quality. Think it cost me about 500 pounds for 12 speakers (set of 6).

Couple of things on ceiling speakers. You are correct, ceiling speakers do not give as good sound as wall mounted or free standing shelf speakers. The sound from ceiling speakers is not directed directly at you I think is the reason why they would not be considered as good. That being said, I dont have any probs with mine and am happy with them.

Couple of things I would consider if I was to go for ceiling mounts again. Bear in mind that I am not an audiophile, so this is just my opinion.

1) Make sure that the speakers are a good fit and have a good clamping system to give them a tight fit. If you dont, you will probably have some form of draft from them.
2) Ceiling mounts are a bit more suseptable to vibration if the bass is high and high volume as well, so the clamping again would be important.

Consider what your source is going to be and if you are distributing to different rooms how you are going to do it. I always plug the Sonos as it is such a great system, and the fact that it is wireless, means that it is very adaptable. With a sonos, you would not neccessarily have to use your ceiling mounts as you can literally place the amps anywhere at all.

Have a look at these [broken link removed]& Some pricey stuff here though!!

Regards,
Wexfordman