Ceiling mounted speakers

RainyDay

We're doing some renovations at home so I thought I'd take the opportunity to fit some ceiling-mounted speakers in our kitchen/dining room, something like [broken link removed] from Digisound.ie.

What is meant by 'Available in 100 volt line or 8 ohm format' and which would suit a standard audio system? Is there anything else I need to worry about in terms of compatability with an audio system (apart from wattage)? I presume I should be able to route any Nicam TV sound output through this system (provided the audio system has an aux in port?

Any recommendations for other units or suppliers would be welcome.

Hi Rainyday,

I'm not an expert in audio systems; I do have a passing interest but anything I say may be proven incorrect by other more knowledgeable posters.

I think that the speakers you have selected are not the best for home audio; firstly the wattage is too low; 6 watts is too little to get any decent sound out of - it's less than you would get from a speaker in a mini hi fi. The result of low wattage will be really felt in the bass notes, they will sound tinny and weak.

Now wattage isn't everything you also need to know the range of sounds that the speakers will reproduce accurately and this is the frequency response, usually given in a range ie 50Hz - 20kHz - If I remember correctly the normal human hearing range is 20Hz to 20Khz so speakers that get the closest to this are better - some speakers can reproduce a range greater than the human ear can hear which some audiophiles claim is even better.

The speakers you picked seemed to be more suited to a PA or piped music delivery ie a shop or a restaurant and not for good quality listening. The 100-volt vs 8 ohm I am not 100% on - I believe that the 8-ohm option would be the one to choose for home use (the 100 volt option is once again for commercial use where you are stringing a number of speakers ie 10 -15 off of one amp).

In addition you will need to match the amplifier with the speakers - amplifiers work within a wattage power range so you need to make sure that your amp won't either over power or under power your speakers. I would also look at getting some sort of sub woofer to give your bass the oomph it needs.

A couple of links I found –

Explanation of 100 volt vs 8 ohm [broken link removed]

Possible alternative ceiling speakers - [broken link removed]

or

Best advice available here - http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

If you tell us a bit more about the system you are trying to put is, what you want from it, what you'll use if for I might be able to help some more.

Best of luck anyway,

efm