cedar wood frame windows, how to protect them?

priscilla

Hi, I'm in the process of getting cedar wood windows and doors and am wondering if anyone knows what to put on them to preserve them. I had teak windows in my last house and used to use teak oil which gave it a lovely rich matt effect. Looking for something similar here. Don't want any shiny, glossy finish and the window manufacturers will put on whatever we supply them. Anyone know if there is a 'cedar' oil or has anyone any suggestions?. Thanks a mill, Priscilla.

Do the manufacturers not have a suggestion? I'd imagine a teak or tung oil would be fine though.
Leo

thanks Leo, when I asked the manufacturers they said they just make and install, they don't treat. Now, we did have a look at cedar windows they had made and were treating in the workshop with a stained lacquer the client had provided. Saying that, the quotation did include priming and treating of the windows but I'm half afraid they may install them without anything on them. I don't mind prociding them with the oil or whatever or even going in and doing it myself before the glass is inserted, it's just knowing what to put on them. I haven't heard of tung oil before, is it similar to teak?.

That's a bit strange, you'd think they would know best what finish to recommend.

Teak oil is primarily made from tung oil with some added polymers and binders to give a more hard wearing finish.
Leo

you're dead right it's strange Leo but I've had so much hassle trying to get the windows that I want, I'm not going to rock any boats, and I'd prefer putting on a finish I'd like myself than God only knows what they'd put on if anything at all. Thanks for that, Priscilla.

One of the benefits of cedar (at least for cladding - I'm not sure about windows) is that you CAN put nothing on. It'll turn grey over time (not much good if you don't like this, but plenty of people do), but the huge advantage is you don't have to keep coating them with whatever you choose.

As I said, this refers to cedar cladding (which we're planning to use): it mightn't apply to windows.

Regardless of what you choose, the following site is very useful:

http://www.wrcla.org/

Thanks ang1170, had a look at the site and I'm all excited waiting for my windows now, they look so well on the web site.

I have just started self build and will be cladding most of the house with western red cedar - I found useful info on www.wrcea.org
I would be interested in sourcing cedar windows too - can anyone suggest the names of any suppliers? I am in Waterford region.

hi kgnt, thanks for the website. I am getting my cedar windows made in sligo but that's probably too far wawy from you. Best of luck, Priscilla.