Cedar Cladding - treat?

Kelmar

Some time ago I had an extension added which included external cedar cladding. At the time I got conflicting advice as to whether I needed to treat it with wood preservative on an ongoing basis - the architect said it would not need to be treated as it would weather naturally to a nice grey finish but the wood would not rot.

Someone else said it would need to be treated every year with a wood preservative.

I have seen many houses with similar cladding and some seem to treat the cedar and others do not.

As it was quite expensive I dont want to leave it untreated if it really needs it; at the same time if it does not need it I dont want to waste money.

Anyone know if;
a)it Cedar should be treated
b) if so with what type of wood preservative
c) and how often

Thanks

You can do either. Leave it untreated and allow it to weather to a silver/gray colour, or treat it on a regular basis. I know which I'd choose :D
Leo

You can get specific cedar treatments that basically paint your cedar back orange, but it weathers to a lighter colour after about a year or so. Even if you do treat it, the most you'll have to do it is every three years.

As Leo says, it is purely for the colour that you are doing it, cedar won't rot (yes, my fingers are crossed too).

Back